'15 Highlander Toy dealer OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone,
I need some clarification on something that I just can't seem to get the right answer to.
Our 2015 Highlander is at 29,700 miles and will need an oil change (at 10k intervals) at 30k miles. For this change, I have to take it to the dealer as my wife just delivered our baby boy and time is of the essence!

My Toyota dealership has 2 prices listed for a synthetic oil change:
1. $49.95 for synthetic
2. $69.95 for Mobil 1

Those prices seem steep, but for this change and our lack of sleep, I don't care. So I emailed the service manager and asked him what brand "synthetic" was for $49.95. His response, "We use ExxonMobil for synthetic and Mobil1 is Mobil1..."

So is the cheaper oil he is referring to Mobil Super? Our Highlander requires 0w-20 so I'm assuming it's all "synthetic?" What's the real advantage to paying more for Mobil1?

Thanks in advance!

M1 is better than Mobil Super Synthetic. Whether it is $20 better is debatable. I'd go the cheaper route. Keep it topped off and you'll be fine for 10k.

1st price is likely for Mobil Super and the other is for Mobil 1.

Suggest you purchase a $25.00 jug of Mobil 1 from Walmart and bring it to the dealer for installation of about $15.00 - $20.00

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
1st price is likely for Mobil Super and the other is for Mobil 1.

Suggest you purchase a $25.00 jug of Mobil 1 from Walmart and bring it to the dealer for installation of about $15.00 - $20.00

+1 I bet it is Mobil Super and Mobil 1. I agree that the difference is a lot for two quality synthetics so I would probably go with the cheaper.

Worth a shot. I would be curious if they would say no because it was "brought in." most indy shops are OK with that stuff but dealerships can be a different beast.

If that car came to my shop, I would not do an oil service for under $75.

My parts cost alone is $45. The 2gr-Fe takes over 6 quarts and my cost on TGMO is $5.50/qt. The filter is $4.

If you can get it done for $50, I would jump on that deal all day long.

I'm guessing the dealer gets oil and filters for less than indicated. Still... not much of a money maker.

OP, vehicle is pretty new. Unless if those 10k were pure-brutal city miles (in which case you probably should be doing 5k or 7,500) I wouldn't sweat getting in before 30k. Go in today, tomorrow or even at 31,000miles (egads!). The oil doesn't magically disintegrate at a fixed mileage.

Sleep now, change oil later.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I'm guessing the dealer gets oil and filters for less than indicated. Still... not much of a money maker.

OP, vehicle is pretty new. Unless if those 10k were pure-brutal city miles (in which case you probably should be doing 5k or 7,500) I wouldn't sweat getting in before 30k. Go in today, tomorrow or even at 31,000miles (egads!). The oil doesn't magically disintegrate at a fixed mileage.

Sleep now, change oil later.
wink.gif

More like sleep now because once baby is home you're not going to sleep for a looong time.
grin.gif

Congrats

We have been home with our baby boy for 5 days and sleep...what's that? Lol but all is well. His name is Phoenix.

Thanks for all of your input. The HL is my wife's daily driver and she does mostly interstate cruising for her commute with maybe 20% light city traffic, so the miles should be relatively easy on the oil.

Sounds to me like I should go with the $49.95 deal and call it a day. Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
So your wife normally does the oil changes herself?

The synthetic is fine, save $20 and get her some flowers :eek:)

You sound like a good man, sir! I'll take that advice!

As mentioned if you have the V-6 it takes 6.4 quarts. Check the small print of the dealer price. A lot of times the price is for up to 5 quarts. You may have to pay extra.

Congrats of the arrival of your son!!
Quote:
Our 2015 Highlander is at 29,700 miles and will need an oil change (at 10k intervals) at 30k miles. For this change, I have to take it to the dealer as my wife just delivered our baby boy and time is of the essence!

Can the dealer really service it faster than you can? Takes me an average of 30-45 minutes to perform an OC. Takes me 15 minutes just to drive to the dealer and another 15 to tell them what i want done!

Last edited:
Got the oil changed in the HL. When I arrived to the dealer everyone acted as though they weren't sure of the pricing of oil changes (???) So the clearly new service tech said the Mobil1 full synthetic change was $50. (Not what the website says..)

So I took it. $50 for a dealer oil/filter change with Mobil 1 0w-20.

Why do they not offer the TGMO? that is a question I would ask...And I would choose the mobil 1 for 10k. I do my oil change at 5k after talking to a Pennzoil rep stating he would not recommend more than a 7,000 mile interval, at least not with out an oil analysis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back