Body Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKT

We recently purchased a Mazda3 for our son to drive. The dealer installed some side sill extensions. I just notice that one end was not tight against the car and saw that the clip that holds it came loose from the hole that was drilled into the body. After further inspection, I find another hole that was drilled in the wrong place and the correct hole is too large in diameter for the clip (looks like a plastic wall molly) to catch and hold.

The dealership that we got the car from is 180 miles away, so I don't really want to return there, and am thinking of buying some bondo (if they even make this anymore) and patching the one hole (which is hidden behind the side sill, and putting bondo into the correct hole with the clip. I would clamp it or brace it until the bondo set up and hopefully this would hold the piece in place.

I can't get behind the body as the rear wheel well blocks me, as I was thinking of finding a washer of the correct diameter and putting this on the backside of the hole for the clip to latch to.

Any ideas or suggestions? I have never worked with bondo so maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew.

There is a Mazda dealership nearby but don't know if this would be considered a warranty item or not (dealer added accessory, but it is in the invoice amount).

Anyone else have experience with dealer added accessories and warranties?

Regular Bondo has little to no strength for the applications you are suggesting. You might "get by" with one of the types reinforced with aluminum or fiberglasss. In my mind, though, the only tactic which would really be appropriate is welding the holes shut and starting from scratch.

This isn't what you want to hear of course, but the good part is that if you contracted the dealer for this service then he has a responsibility to perform the work to certain professional standards stand behind it for some duration. I wouldn't even attempt to fix it myself. I would get them to make a written committment to the quality of the work for a certain length of time, and then hold them to it, no matter how much they moan.

your local hardware store should have a couple different sizes/kinds of nylon anchors should not be able to find some nylon "clip" at your local auto parts store. pep boys has a good selection.

i would paint the hole that was newly drilled. i doubt the mechanic bothered to do this and it just waiting to start rusting.

I just spoke with the dealership where we purchased the car, and all dealer installed items are covered by the full warranty.

I then called the local Mazda dealership and I explained the situation and they agreed that it is a warranty item and to bring it in.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post the results, especially if there are additional problems.

Update:
We took the car to the local dealership last Saturday. They inspected it and said that it was not a warranty item, since the installation was faulty and that the other dealership had to pay for it.

Of course they promised to resolve this for me, but nothing happened.

I called the dealership that I bought the car from in San Antonio today and the sales manager said he would take care of it for me. About 30 minutes later the local dealership called and said they had authorization to correct the installation, so we'll see if this is the end of the story this weekend.

It got a little ugly as the service person at the local dealership uttered that I would have to pay for the correction. Don't know if he wasn't thinking when he spoke, but I made it pretty clear to him that I had no intention of paying for a dealer installed Mazda accessory that was installed improperly, regardless of who installed it or which dealership performed the work.

Yeah, service writers love hosing people. If they can hose a person who bought a car from a competing dealer, so much the better.
wink.gif

We couldn't find the car locally. I went to the local dealer and was working directly with the sales manager and he said he had located a car in the area but when he contacted the dealership they couldn't find the car.

I waited 2 weeks and after the 3rd - "I have calls in to other dealers but no one will return my calls", I got fed up, went on the internet and found a the car in San Antonio and 2 in Dallas in about 15 minutes.

I went back to the local dealership and told them where the car was. The sales manager checked his database and said the 2 in Dallas wouldn't be arriving until 3 weeks. I called San Antonio, they had the car on the lot, they put together a great deal and didn't have any dealer add ons (scotchguard, pin stripes, etc).

I'm suffering some now, but still did the right thing (I may change my tune if I don't succeed this weekend).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back