Bashers against snake oil additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we like using certain additives it's our automobile and truck or whatever don't bash us for trying.

I have used various additives for oil and fuel and I have a snot load of miles on it.
Same goes for small engine stuff.

Though regular oil changes every 3,000 or 4,000 miles for conventional Dino oil. Synthetic blend same or more and full synthetic even more miles between changes. Duh.

But all in all it's our paid for ride.

Some snake oil really works. Some don't.

It's our $$.

So don't bash.
Save your typing or finger or thumb input.

Snake oil may work for MANY of us.

I don't get the point of your post.

You are free to use anything you want in your vehicle, and report your honest experiences with any product.

If someone advises using this or that additive, it's not "bashing" to post and disagree, but there is a clear distinction between someone who uses a product and reports their experience versus counselling another BITOG member to use a product. There is a greater "Duty of Care" when you advise another to use a product, versus using it yourself.

It's not "bashing" to point out misleading or unsupported performance claims by a manufacturer.

Claims with valid evidence and supportable test data are always welcome.

It's not bashing it's called science, we have the technology to know what's not in Lucas oil stabilizer so it's a snake oil by science not opinion.

I'm guessing Lucas is what we're talking about since the last thread about additives you participated in involved that.

Nothing wrong with bashing snake oil.

That is why it is called snake oil.

Don't get butthurt if we tell you your snake oil is just that; pointless and doing nothing for you or your engine.

Some additives are good, some do nothing, some are bad.

Use whatever makes you feel better, but do not be surprised when someone tells you you are throwing away money.

Nothing needed to be added when using a quality Syn oil period. In fact a additive will negate a quality Syn oils benefits & lubricative properties.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's not bashing it's called science, we have the technology to know what's not in Lucas oil stabilizer so it's a snake oil by science not opinion.

Yes. People come here looking for advice. While anyone is free to post whatever testimonial about whatever additive they wish, they are going to get called out on the carpet for it.

I have no desire to see someone get "sold" on an additive because all he sees here are positive testimonials about it, because we shouldn't say anything because it's not our vehicle or our money.

Science has been used, at least rudimentary science, in a couple threads to show the problems with Lucas. Nothing even approaching scientific has been done to show any benefits. We're waiting. Testimonials don't count.

If you don't want to hear opinions, don't talk about it. But discussions are the entire point of an internet forum, right?

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
If we like using certain additives it's our automobile and truck or whatever don't bash us for trying.

I have used various additives for oil and fuel and I have a snot load of miles on it.

Never going to bash you for trying.

Will bash you for trying to convince others to use it.

Particularly when the only positive that you can measure is "nothing blew up".

"Is the OP trying to give us a gag order?"

Sounds like a "back against the wall" mindset slopping all over everywhere to me.

Would the OP please fill out this questionnaire.

When you try an additive, the best you can provide is a subjective opinion, not scientific research.

The point that no car manufacturer nor oil blender recommends additives in the oil is pretty compelling to not use additives in the oil. At least for vehicles in good condition.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If you don't want to hear opinions, don't talk about it. But discussions are the entire point of an internet forum, right?

+1,000,000. I couldn't agree more.

There are gas additives that do work and you won't be bashed for using them:

PEA (Gumout, Techron, etc.)
TCW3 (not in DI engines though).

The rest are scrap, that lighten your wallet. They really are scams.

"Some snake oil really works. Some don't."

Snake oil doesnt work, if it does work its not called snake oil. Most additives are a waste of money. Unless you can prove scientifically that it works, its snake oil.
Use what you want that helps you sleep at night but alot of people have tons of miles on their cars while using no additives..so because you have cars with lots of miles and you use additives means nothing.

There are a lot of rote "no additives are necessary" "all you need is good quality oil" "additives actually subtract from the oil" responses in seemingly every thread in the oil additives forum. There's a couple in this one already...

I get what southernjeeper's saying. What's the point of posting in the additives section if instead of addressing the OP's topic, you post a generic "additives are bad" every time.

Same goes for small engine stuff.

Though regular oil changes every 3,000 or 4,000 miles for conventional Dino oil. Synthetic blend same or more and full synthetic even more miles between changes. Duh.

But all in all it's our paid for ride.

It's our $$.

So don't bash.
Save your typing or finger or thumb input.

And don't get your knickers in a twist if someone is brutally honest. If you don't want a variety of opinions, then don't post it in the first place.

The problem is that for the most part, the claims that the additive companies make are not something that can be verified by any of us. As a result you get posts and claims of things like the engine is "smoother" or "runs 2 degrees cooler" or "it works great!" or "gets 0.9 MPG" better, or the classic "my engine loves it". At best someone says they are going to get a UOA and then somehow ascribe a 2ppm difference in iron to the addtion of the additive.

Of course this situation is exactly what most additive companies are banking on. The claims they make are such that they cannot be proven, what is left is perception and impressions devoid of any substantive data. This is proven when all the additive company has on their literature and website are testimonials from supposed users.

I'm not sure what the OP was really after except to try and warn everyone from criticizing posts where it's obvious that no verifiable proof of efficacy exists.

No.. That's why it's called 'snake oil.' The term literally was made up to refer to products that have absolutely no benefit, and were just some stuff being pushed by shysters as part of a con.

It's our $$.

Yes, but why waste it on snake oil, when you can do a little research and take constructive input from those in the know?

Please see above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back