Rotella T6 vs Gastrol Edge 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ntoxicator
I'll throw a wrench in here..

Also been eyeballing Warren MAG1 Euro 5w40, long considered trying it for my application. Spec sheet on paper looks good?

Probably a good oil, but it's kind of like Amsoil when it comes to euro mfg approvals. It's recommended for various Euro specs, but it does not officially meet them. Could it meet them? Possibly, but we are just guessing.

Also been eyeballing Warren MAG1 Euro 5w40, long considered trying it for my application. Spec sheet on paper looks good?

I used their MAG1 5w30 by the cases for my Ex's Nissan and her vulcan 3.0.

http://www.mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=feb26b17-c445-4631-ac06-5f688312182f

While we're flinging wrenches around....

You're in the territory where M1 0w40 is a consideration. Its ridiculously hard to beat it in pretty much any application where people have tried to measure and quantify its performance and it carries a boatload of OEM approvals .

Now I know that Blackstone $30 UOAs aren't always conclusive, but this is a fairly impressive result compared to Redline 5w30 in a Z/06 with previously consistent high lead levels:
UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I used their MAG1 5w30 by the cases for my Ex's Nissan and her vulcan 3.0.

http://www.mag1.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=feb26b17-c445-4631-ac06-5f688312182f

While we're flinging wrenches around....

You're in the territory where M1 0w40 is a consideration. Its ridiculously hard to beat it in pretty much any application where people have tried to measure and quantify its performance and it carries a boatload of OEM approvals .

Now I know that Blackstone $30 UOAs aren't always conclusive, but this is a fairly impressive result compared to Redline 5w30 in a Z/06 with previously consistent high lead levels:
UOA

M1 0W40 changed formulation. It does not meet BMW LL-01 anymore. So, while I do not doubt it will perform really good, lack of BMW approval (which is not thoughts one to meet) is really confusing.

Great input and details. Really appreciate your knowledge.

Going to pick-up 5qt jug of the Castrol belgium 0w40 @ local retailer.. most likely Wal-Mart.

Should I just run all of it and its 5qt glory? I was thinking about cutting it 4qt's and 1qt of the rotella T6 i have

Going to pick-up 5qt jug of the Castrol belgium 0w40 @ local retailer.. most likely Wal-Mart.

Current batches (with Titanium) are made in Germany.

Quote:

Should I just run all of it and its 5qt glory? I was thinking about cutting it 4qt's and 1qt of the rotella T6 i have

Personally, I would not mix it.

Great input and details. Really appreciate your knowledge.

5qt jugs are Made in Germany.
Do not mix in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

M1 0W40 changed formulation. It does not meet BMW LL-01 anymore. So, while I do not doubt it will perform really good, lack of BMW approval (which is not thoughts one to meet) is really confusing.

Rotella T6 which the OP has been using with success doesn't carry BMW LL-01, either, so it hardly seems relevant to this application.

I would wager that the new GTL version will pick up the BMW LL-01 spec in due time, unless its something like maybe they have info that BMW LL-01 is about to be superseded by a new spec so its not worth testing to the old one. Who knows, its absence is hard to figure unless something else is going on.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Rotella T6 which the OP has been using with success doesn't carry BMW LL-01, either, so it hardly seems relevant to this application.

I would wager that the new GTL version will pick up the BMW LL-01 spec in due time, unless its something like maybe they have info that BMW LL-01 is about to be superseded by a new spec so its not worth testing to the old one. Who knows, its absence is hard to figure unless something else is going on.

I was referring to your observation that carries bunch of specs.
When it it comest comes to T6, I would never put that in my Tiguan.
Much better solutions available around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back