Good News for Manual Trans Lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
At an event on the eve of the 2016 New York auto show, Honda has confirmed that, for the 2017 model year, it will offer the 1.5L turbo, six-speed manual transmission combo in every Civic body style—sedan, hatch, and coupe.

If the six-speed manual transmission in these Civic's is as good as the manual transmission of the S2000 it would be hard to beat. Only Mazda Miata manual transmission is better(probably).

Quote:
In the non-Si, non–Type R Civic (those versions are forthcoming), that turbo engine thus far has been available only with a CVT automatic, and the only stick shift in the lineup is paired with the Civic’s base, 158-hp non-turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-offer...ic-body-styles/

The Miata and the S2000 (and the Morgan 3 Wheeler!) share the same transmission.

wink.gif

Young people won't put up with shifting gears while texting on their smart phones?

CVT's dumb down driving and leave the driver free to not get interrupted by having to deal so much with driving.

A stick-shift is good for people that enjoy driving. Good job, Honda.

Good for Honda! Small turbo engines work nicely with manuals. The driving experience is completely different than the same car with an automatic transmission. Being able to wind up the engine in the first few gears until the boost runs out is fun.

Personally, I am in favor of more choices, but these manual transmission car's won't sell. Except for maybe the Ford Focus and Festiva, I don't see very many people wanting a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Young people won't put up with shifting gears while texting on their smart phones?

CVT's dumb down driving and leave the driver free to not get interrupted by having to deal so much with driving.

A stick-shift is good for people that enjoy driving. Good job, Honda.

Yes, collision avoidance, lane change warnings, soon to be automatic braking,etc., all dumb down driving and make the roads inherently safer.

But in the base models only? I bet. If you want leather, navi and a clutch you are really limited to a muscle car, a Vette, or a BMW.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
But in the base models only? I bet. If you want leather, navi and a clutch you are really limited to a muscle car, a Vette, or a BMW.

The turbo isn't available on the base Civic.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Personally, I am in favor of more choices, but these manual transmission car's won't sell. Except for maybe the Ford Focus and Festiva, I don't see very many people wanting a manual transmission.

The small percentage of Civics equipped with manual is still enough to justify selling them. And Honda does make better cars than Ford.

I was at a chevy dealer a month ago. They had 5 or six vettts in the show room and only one had a manual transmission. The z06 was even an auto.

Six speed manual...I guess its like getting onto a highway driving a giant garbage truck..1st gear 2nd gear 3rd gear 4th gear 5th gear 6th gear and wow we are cruising at 60 but the drivers arm just fell off!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Six speed manual...I guess its like getting onto a highway driving a giant garbage truck..1st gear 2nd gear 3rd gear 4th gear 5th gear 6th gear and wow we are cruising at 60 but the drivers arm just fell off!

I bet you could skip a gear or two in there. Heck, even in my Mom's old Saturn 5 speed, I would skip 4th on a regular basis. I would accelerate so rapidly through 1-2-3 it was unneeded. Only used it on hills or to pass.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The Miata and the S2000 (and the Morgan 3 Wheeler!) share the same transmission.

I'm 99% sure that is not true. They're similar, Ibut they're not interchangeable, either completely nor internally to my knowledge.

S2000:

2012.07.18_S20002_AP2Tranny-0020.jpg

Miata:

1242248010_393_FT0_img_7790.jpg

I own both a 2001 S2000 and a 1999 Miata, both transmissions are fantastic.

robert

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

I was at a chevy dealer a month ago. They had 5 or six vettts in the show room and only one had a manual transmission. The z06 was even an auto.
I wish Chevy trucks were still available with a manual.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Actually, I sometime tried to shift up from 6th gear of my S2000.

I was already at 6th on highway at speed of 80-85 MPH, the engine was too noisy I thought I was at 4th, tried to up-shift but couldn't find another gear !
33.gif

The manual transmission of S2000 and Miata are so good, I didn't get tired of shifting it, I actually enjoy shifting gears in my S2000. Also, the clutch is very light and easy to engage, I didn't have any problem even in stop and go traffic. Most car critics think that Honda manual transmission is very good.

At least Honda offer a choice of transmissions, so it is up to buyer to choose what he/she likes to own.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quote:
At an event on the eve of the 2016 New York auto show, Honda has confirmed that, for the 2017 model year, it will offer the 1.5L turbo, six-speed manual transmission combo in every Civic body style—sedan, hatch, and coupe.

If the six-speed manual transmission in these Civic's is as good as the manual transmission of the S2000 it would be hard to beat. Only Mazda Miata manual transmission is better(probably).

http://blog.caranddriver.com/honda-offer...ic-body-styles/

Thanks for posting; gives me something to hope for if/when I can ever orchestrate a new ride just for me, a manual trans Civic is on my very short list.
Kevin

I am all for having more manual cars offered but i hope this doesn't turn into another ricer civic phase. I can already see them now lining up next to my golf and revving their 1.5. I bet they will be pretty sad when a station wagon eats their lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back