BMW F650 - HDEO Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Bought myself a new (to me) bike and its crying out for some clean oil. I have decided I'd like to try an HDEO for this oil change. Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations and good experience with any in particular? I'm in Australia so the oil would need to be available on the Australian Market ( Unfortunatly Rotella is a no-go
frown.gif
)

I was thinking Mobil Delvac MX or Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade. Any other contenders you could recommend? Both of these oils are a bit difficult to source cheaply and need to be purchased through oil/lube distributors rather than Auto parts stores. Some Caltex stations have the Delo range but the Markup is pretty horrendous. Bike is a big single, done around 25,000 kms and has a notoriously clunky gearbox so hopefully some decent fresh oil will work wonders. Something at a reasonable price for a 5l jug would be great.

Also, the bike has been stood idle for a few months before i bought it. any recommendations on what i should do with the first OCI would be great. Should I run the service manual OCI or run a shorter OCI and drop the oil a little sooner?

Thanks in advance.

I use delo in my bikes. Heaviest 40wt evar
smile.gif
works well...
I change oil by shifter feel on the R1. Harley will be 3k miles probably

Both are good oils, and Silk above knows his stuff

A mate is running the Caltex Delo 400 in his liquid cooled, 600 cc, single cylinder enduro bike and he likes it a lot. He tried about 5 different oils before he settled on the Delo.

Delvac MX has provided the best and longest lasting shift feel so far for me. A great product which is also a bit hard to get around here.
Switched to the current fill because of some consumption, but that's not the fault of the oil. Also didn't improve much if any.
Recommended
wink.gif

Although Shannow doesn't like it, Gulf Western Top Dog 15W40 really improved the knotchy gearchange on a '92 XT600 I had. I'd used several oils, motorcycle and HDEO and just thought it was how they shifted, big surprise when it suddenly felt normal.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Although Shannow doesn't like it, Gulf Western Top Dog 15W40 really improved the knotchy gearchange on a '92 XT600 I had. I'd used several oils, motorcycle and HDEO and just thought it was how they shifted, big surprise when it suddenly felt normal.

Just did a quick search for anyone else on here who has had any experience with the gulf western. Its really cheap here, the look of the bottlings and the price have always sent the "you get what you pay for" alarm bells ringing. All ive found was a post of shannow tearing strips off them on a UOA another user posted a little while ago. Would love to see any other info on these oils

We are using Gulf Western gear oils at work at the moment. I rebuilt my Airhead gearbox 18 months ago (broken pawl spring), gurus say you must use GL5 90, but the bike is very BMW in it's gearchanges with 90, so am now using GW 75/90 GL5. Now instead of making sure I do my best to get it right, now I don't even register my gearshifts....just the occasional oops, that's right, I'm on the Airhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back