Mobil Delvac XHP 10W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I bought a 208 l barrel of Mobil Delvac XHP 10W40. The oil has been sealed hermetically in the barrel for 5 years so I was afraid that maybe the oil could not be used anymore.

The oil analysis was made in a German lab why the results look different. Also note that the test report contains properties usually not seen in the common reports posted here (Sulphur for instance)

Here are the results:

WEAR:
Iron [mg/kg] 0
Chromium [mg/kg] 0
Tin [mg/kg] 0
Aluminum [mg/kg] 0
Nickel [mg/kg] 0
Copper [mg/kg] 0
Lead [mg/kg] 0
PQ Index (particle quantifier) OK

CONTAMINATION
Si [mg/kg] 4
K [mg/kg] 1
Na [mg/kg] 16
Water [%] Diesel oil [%] Bio diesel oil [%] Soot [%]
OIL CONDITION
Viscosity @ 40 degC [mm2/s] 85.23
Viscosity @ 100 degC [mm2/s] 13.60
Viscosity index 163
Oxidation [A/cm] 5
Nitration [A/cm] 0
Sulfation [A/cm] 0
Ability to absorb dirt [%] 100

ADDITIVES
Ca [mg/kg] 4303
Mg [mg/kg] 34
B [mg/kg] 294
Zn [mg/kg] 1120
P [mg/kg] 997
Ba [mg/kg] 0
Mo [mg/kg] 0
S [mg/kg] 4252

ADDITIONAL TESTS
BN, base number [mgKOH/g] 17.91
AN, acid number [mhKOH/g] 3.74

Questions:

1. How do I read the additive (Ca, Mg etc) results? What is good what is bad?
2. How do I read oxidation, nitration and sulaftion results? What is good what is bad?
3. How do I read Si, K and Na results? What is good what is bad?

The oil is mainly intended to be used in a Japanese Toyota with a naturally aspirated 4,2 liter inline 6 cyl diesel engine. The reason for writing this is this post where it is discussed how piston crowns on japanese engines are different from European and US engines. Any comments?

4. It is safe to use this oil in the above mentioned Toyota engine?
5. Can this oil also be used in both gasoline and diesel passenger cars (non heavy duty)?

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

I think, but am not totally sure, that this oil will work fine for the Landcruiser diesel. Especially for long oil change intervals/high mileage use, also use with high sulfur diesel due to high TBN.
I would most definitely NOT use it in a gasoline engine due to high ash content and lack of gasoline certification.
This oil is actual rated mainly for European HD diesels.
The oil is new and virtually uncontaminated.

Charlie

Hi,

I'm the thread starter.

I have this 23 year old gasoline car:

1,4 litre, 60 HP, single point fuel injection and the engine was in production from approx 1980-1991. What would happen if I would use my Mobil Delvac XHP 10W40 oil in that engine? Bad choice?

Lucas

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Hi,

I'm the thread starter.

I have this 23 year old gasoline car:

1,4 litre, 60 HP, single point fuel injection and the engine was in production from approx 1980-1991. What would happen if I would use my Mobil Delvac XHP 10W40 oil in that engine? Bad choice?

Lucas

Does the oil carry any gasoline engine certs. If so I don't see a problem using it in a gasoline engine.
After 5 years would the additive package settle out? If so how would a person go about blending them back in? I guess a mud mixing paddle in a drill might work unless agitation is required,then that might be a bit harder to accomplish.
If the oil meets SJ or better I would use it in a gas engine. Any spec older than that and I don't think I would risk it.
Do ash levels that high constitute a possible problem?

Looks like a decent diesel oil, and since it has been sealed I wouldn't be afraid to use it in a diesel.

Quote:
If the oil meets SJ or better I would use it in a gas engine.

I would agree if your gasser can use this 10W40 viscosity.

First, the additives have obviously not settled with a Ca content of 4300 and a TBN of almost 18!
Second, it certainly wouldn't
kill" a gas engine but the high ash content would likely foul spark plugs. XHP has NO gas ratings.

Charlie

I have been using the Mobil Delvac XHP in my 60HP gasoline engine for approx 6000 miles. I made pictures of 2 spark plugs:

20160110_160634_zpswfitcciw.jpg

20160110_160427_zpsnckjbud8.jpg

To me the spark plugs look OK and dont show signs of "fouling". Does it mean that I can safely use that oil in my gasser engine?

Lucas

Why not? Of course, If the engine burns tons of oil and has a catalytic converter, it might kill the cat in some distant future. If it does not burn oil excessively or does not have a cat I do not see anything that could possibly go wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back