Sad end of an era - Ford Falcon Sprint final edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
I have a soft spot for inline sixes.

Same here, especially in a rear wheel drive package.

US auto companies have had a stupid bias against the products of their overseas divisions for decades...Just witness Chryslers idiocy in ignoring the Aussie hemi inline six and the cars that it went into.A good product is a good product no matter where it originates.MORONS.

Originally Posted By: urrlord
US auto companies have had a stupid bias against the products of their overseas divisions for decades...Just witness Chryslers idiocy in ignoring the Aussie hemi inline six and the cars that it went into.A good product is a good product no matter where it originates.MORONS.

Sorry, couldn't help myself

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
frown.gif
Unfortunate, Ford really screwed the pooch by never offering the newer Falcon in the US. There were enough revisions to the platform that they could have made it symmetrical to offer a LHD option.

I believe a few years back, Ford seriously considered basing Mustang off the Falcon platform, mainly due to the Falcon's superior independent rear end - Mustangs at the time were still a live axle design. That would've obviously resulted in a LHD Falcon being easily engineered, with exports of Aussie built Falcons (possibly even the ute) to the US...who knows, if that had happened, Falcon probably wouldn't be on its deathbed.

Hay, my first car was a'64 Falcon with the 170 six-a good car even without enough main bearings. Nothing but the name shared with the current car.

So, what's the plan for replacement parts when Holden and Ford shut down the manufacturing operations?

Parts availability here for the Australian cars was less than stellar when Pontiac was running. With Pontiac gone and Holden basically gone as a car company, I may just park my G8. I already drive it less than I like because of the concern of a bonehead crashing into it and damaging body parts I can't easily get.

Originally Posted By: Win
So, what's the plan for replacement parts when Holden and Ford shut down the manufacturing operations?

Parts availability here for the Australian cars was less than stellar when Pontiac was running.

I'm a Holden man, and even locally I've been burned by parts availability.

Talking for UC Toranas, and VS Statesman Caprices, they don't give a rats...and it sounds like it translates to others as weel.

At least I can get a great Delco filter for my Nissan at the Holden dealer within 24 hours.

I did read - can't remember where - that Ford are stamping body panels for Falcon and Territory, which won't be used to build cars, but will be held as spares. I always believed the manufacturer had to keep spares available for 10 years after production of a particular vehicle ended. Any truth in that, or urban myth?

Originally Posted By: hpb
I did read - can't remember where - that Ford are stamping body panels for Falcon and Territory, which won't be used to build cars, but will be held as spares. I always believed the manufacturer had to keep spares available for 10 years after production of a particular vehicle ended. Any truth in that, or urban myth?

urban myth

The best way to preserve an obsolescent daily driver is to buy a parts car or 2 That said, Many original Ford parts for the Rat are NLA. Parts that make it roadworthy. I can still buy Original BMW parts for the 528e. Ford has no stake in keeping your Ford running past the warranty. BMW will start making parts if there is a demand for them. :gr:in2

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
The best way to preserve an obsolescent daily driver is to buy a parts car or 2 That said, Many original Ford parts for the Rat are NLA. Parts that make it roadworthy. I can still buy Original BMW parts for the 528e. Ford has no stake in keeping your Ford running past the warranty. BMW will start making parts if there is a demand for them. :gr:in2

G8 cars around here are still a bit expensive - I had someone walk into my office and offer me $20K about 18 months ago for my sixer - and I turned them down, didn't even counter ....

They're not at parts car pricing around here, and may never be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back