King bearings article on .... bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
A simply written article about bearings, low viscosity oils, clearances, ZDDP, and more. The article clearly states the need for lead free bearings with integrated solid lubricants to prevent the metal to metal wear that is now more common with low viscosity oils and start-stop features. Very nice, thanks for posting that.

It almost sounds like the author is a BITOG member.... As we read many of the same subjects on this forum.

I'm confused by the statement "advantage diesel engines
because they warm up faster than gasoline engines" - in my experience this hasn't been true.

Originally Posted By: Koop
I'm confused by the statement "advantage diesel engines
because they warm up faster than gasoline engines" - in my experience this hasn't been true.

It's not true. Diesels typically take longer to warm up. There are exceptions, of course. One major reason is that many diesels have high (unthrottled) airflow at idle. This additional air does keep the internals cooler. The larger mass (thermal mass) of the engine per given HP simply takes longer to heat.

Keep in mind that one mistake in the "blog" does not invalidate the other points. This really is not a scientific paper. It's a simply written article on bearings.

Weren't they talking about exhaust temperatures or combustion temperatures maybe for diesel vs gasoline? I know the coolant temps take longer on diesel to warmup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back