Supertech oil filters are back!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart for oil and a Filter for the Maximastang. Was happy to see that they carry Supertech oil filters again.

They have changed the part number scheme, as they no longer follow the Fram scheme, and my car now uses an ST9688, rather than an ST7317.

I'd be interested to find who manufactures this one.
IMG_20160321_201611_zps9xxlboww.jpg

IMG_20160321_202946_zpskui3fvas.jpg

IMG_20160321_203028_zps0wxrwynb.jpg

IMG_20160321_203050_zpsly2v9wur.jpg

"95% efficiency filtration" since they don't say the micron side at which it's 95% filtration I'm going to assume it's 150 microns.

I'm joking I just don't know why they list it without the micron size. 95% at 2 microns is very impressive 95% at 150 microns not so much.

Nice rock catcher. I recall seeing in a previous thread that it is 95% @ 29 microns. ick...

The asterisk next to the efficiency rating indeed leads to another side of the box, "Per ISO 4548-12 at 29 microns" on my ST3614.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
"95% efficiency filtration" since they don't say the micron side at which it's 95% filtration I'm going to assume it's 150 microns.

I'm joking I just don't know why they list it without the micron size. 95% at 2 microns is very impressive 95% at 150 microns not so much.

Yeah, I'm not an oil filter snob. I'm just happy I can get a $2.88 filter while picking up my $12 5 quart jug of Supertech 5W30. I have run ST and Napa Pro Select filters almost exclusively, and am happy ST is back. At 4K OCIs, I dont need boutique oil or 12 filters.

Printed on the box said Made in USA, but cartridge filters are made from China . Prices are also a little higher than before but still cheaper than Fram and Purolator . I'm happy they coming back to the market.

150 microns is pretty big in the micron world. I'm gonna say 95% at 40 microns if it's a Wix.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Yeah, I'm not an oil filter snob. I'm just happy I can get a $2.88 filter while picking up my $12 5 quart jug of Supertech 5W30. I have run ST and Napa Pro Select filters almost exclusively, and am happy ST is back. At 4K OCIs, I dont need boutique oil or 12 filters.

Points well taken here. And the ST9866 application uses a separate metal dome bypass not a combo valve. A plus for this application over the shorty ST6607 imo.

And while perhaps not an efficiency leader, still better than OEM filter efficiencies that some vehicle manufactures spec for their own filters. For ~3-5k ocis the ST is a very serviceable value tier filter option imo.

And btw if it matters, ST has the same rated efficiency as the Wix made for O'Rielly MicorGard filter line.

On the side of the box it explains the test used and that it is at 29 microns.

Compared to ACDelco oil filters 98% at 25 to 30 micron, SuperTech oil filters are close in efficiency at a bargain price. Still waiting to see some used ones cut open.

I have trouble with the fine print. If up to 25% is not from USA parts,how is it figured? If there are say 12 parts in the filter, that means 3 of them can be made in China? Like maybe the element, baseplate, and can? Is the element with end caps one part? Or is it figured by weight? Apparently certified USA made has to be 75% parts content. I am sorry to have to complain, it looks like a decent filter for the masses.

Supertech filters are back and they are new and improved.

Rock catcher? Hardly.

29 microns is approximately equal to the width of 6 red blood cells or 1/4 to 1/2 the diameter of a human hair.

That could make a Supertech the best $2.88 you ever spent.

How are you finding which filters work in which vehicles?

If there is a booklet to look through in the filter aisle, what other source would be reliable as to which filter number to select?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

If there is a booklet to look through in the filter aisle, what other source would be reliable as to which filter number to select?

I was wondering that too because I was just at Walmart this morning. They are using the Fram numbers. My Olds takes a Fram 3980, and the SuperTech is ST 3980. Was going to buy one to cut open because they are only $2.84 each, but I would rather see some used ones cut open.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

My Walmart had an updated book without the puros and st in their place. It also listed the rotella filters.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

On the side of the box it explains the test used and that it is at 29 microns.

95% @ 29 microns should be approx 80% @ 20 microns.

My local Walmarts have an electronic filter lookup thing with an lcd and buttons on the side. Purolator is no longer listed there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back