02 Silverado 5.3L RWD Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Chevy Silverado
Looking for good front and rear brakes pads. Front brakes started to squeal today.

Who manufactures brake pads for Chevy trucks?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Originally Posted By: beanoil
I like Wagner ThermoQuiet. I've also used AZ Duralast Gold with no complaints.

+1 on the thermoQuiet's.

Akebono proact are the best pads you can get hands down. Next would be thermoquiets for a cheaper option.

+2 on thermo and I have duralast(regular) on my jeep and kia no issues.

I prefer to buy instore instead of the interweb since you can take pads in amd exchange in minutes with the lifetime warranty

GM OE if possible. Not just ACDelco, but GM OE line.

Otherwise, Akebono ProACT for a "value line" option.

I would avoid the ThermoQuiet since it does not use real shims. Plus the thicker backing plate results in less friction material to start.

Originally Posted By: CapitalTruck
I believe Akebono is the OEM

Yes, but Akebono's OE friction line is different than their aftermarket line.

Akebono or Wagner - ONLY if the Wagner pad is a dimensional match to the OEM pad. I've noticed Wagner pads are off from the OEM pad by a 1/16-1/8" or a few MM - not enough to first notice but enough to cause clunking or popping noises as the pads move in the caliper.

AC Delco pads are made by Raybestos.

Last edited:
Its the rear brakes that are shot.

I remembered that when my brother was working at GMC he used his discount to get me front/rear rotors, brake pads and Emergency brake pads.

I went digging in my cabinet and found 2 closed boxes with 2 rear rotors, a brand new sealed box of brake pads by AC delco (GM part#18043346) and Emergency brake pads.

I found the receipt indicating that I purchased them back in 10-11-2010.

I looked at my records and saw that I only replaced the front brakes and rotors.

Our truck has 296k miles with the rear pads and rotors finally going out.

I do remember having issues with the Emergency brake and decided to leave it alone.

Today, I saw deep scouring on one of the rotors (inside) and really not sure if I should tackle the Emergency brake. I feel like I have to do it or I'm going to score up the new rotors (inside).

Hope its similar to my Honda Civic rear Drum brake/emergency brake set up.
Took me forever to adjust the rear emergency brake on my Civic.

How difficult is it to replace and properly adjust the Emergency brake on my Silverado.

Please advise

Instructions indicate that the shoe assembly must be adjusted to 209.5-209.7mm.
Tool required, Vernier caliper.

Intimidating

Feel like just adjusting the old shoes so that it never makes contact with the rotor.

Then get back to it when I find a good instructional video

Well I ended up replacing the Emergency brake shoes also.
I did not adjust it, just left the shoes so they would not drag on the inner rotor.

Will try to figure out how to properly adjust them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back