Quick Strut, or just the strut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thanks to our great roads here, it's time to replace the struts and shocks on my Cobalt. (Guess I can't whine, I got 10 years/75k out of them) Shocks on the back are easy, as I can choose between Monroe, Gabriel, AC Delco, or Sachs (all but sachs are within a few bucks of each other). But I was talking to a guy who has a few Saturn Ions (his kids drive em) who says to avoid the quick struts for these cars, and just get the struts and reuse the rest....he mentioned that most of the stuff on the QS is kinda junky compared to the strut itself. Granted, I had the chance to compare a quick strut from AAP (monroe) with mine on the car, and the first thing I noticed is how much thicker the stock spring was....

So, it has me debating whether I should go quick strut, or simply buy the strut. Means I can't do it (will kill myself with the spring), but if the stock stuff holds up better for the strut and makes it hold up better, then it would be worth the cost.

Thoughts?

Will add- put quick struts on wife's car, and they didn't even make 50k (45k), and now I only can put quick struts on it...
frown.gif

Also noticed my thought are different then a almost five years ago- http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2423019

Also noticed I could get Sachs all around as well (they do not do a quick strut for my car)

Last edited:
Quick struts have a lifetime warranty. On my 3rd set, just had to pay for labor for the last 2. They only last 50-75k a set which is to be expected in my area with all the potholes around. Plus I just drive, I'm not slowing down to avoid potholes.

As for the springs, they do wear out also. I guess it depends on the manufacturer, my quickstruts had thicker looking springs than OEM.

In my experience they use [censored] struts in the quick struts. Better to buy the sep gr-2 or spectrum struts.

Quote:
But I was talking to a guy who has a few Saturn Ions (his kids drive em) who says to avoid the quick struts for these cars, and just get the struts and reuse the rest....he mentioned that most of the stuff on the QS is kinda junky compared to the strut itself.

This is my experience and what I tell people, too. The mounts are in particular the aftermarket item that fail, and hard to go back and replace, as well as costly little things usually. Reuse OE if not bad.

I have had excellent success over time with KYB in non-stressed applications like this. I see at RA the KYB units for your car are the same price basically as Monroe and cheaper than AC Delco. I'd use them.

Last edited:
Have you researched how the compress the springs on struts. While it can be dangerous if not respected, its not hard with a good set of spring compressors. I have done them on all my strut cars, with a set of spring compressors i bought 25 years ago.

I mean, once to take the strut off, its compress the spring, and remove one nut. Corroded might mean an impact gun if you have a good one.

Last edited:
Quick struts are awesome! Plus, Monroe has a $75 rebate going on when you buy the set of four (two shocks and two struts). Gabirel's rebate is the price of the cheapest shock. KYB's rebate is only $40.

Monroe and Gabriel include a lifetime warranty that covers every component of the quick strut. KYB's warranty is only one year, and I think Sachs does the same.

BUT you have to buy name-brand quick struts, like the ones you mentioned. No cheap Chinese [censored] like Sensen or FCS or Unity or Dura; these are only good for 10k, if that. Also avoid Monroe's Econo-Matic (blue) and Gabriel Guardian (red) because they'll only make it to 30k.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
In my experience they use [censored] struts in the quick struts. Better to buy the sep gr-2 or spectrum struts.

KYB uses the GR2/Excel-G in their quick struts, and Monroe uses the OESpectrum in their premium quick struts (painted black). Monroe's blue Econo-Matic uses the Monro-Matic which is inferior.

Any time we have a cobalt or hhr or saturn ion in the shop more than likely the struts are leaking/making noise along with the sway bar links making noise. We usually try to sell quick struts with links and never have had a comeback. Were using gabriel quickstruts. And sometimes duratrash links.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Any time we have a cobalt or hhr or saturn ion in the shop more than likely the struts are leaking/making noise along with the sway bar links making noise. We usually try to sell quick struts with links and never have had a comeback. Were using gabriel quickstruts. And sometimes duratrash links.

Quality name-brand quick struts are just fine. Gabriel Ultra Readymount, Monroe Quick Strut, KYB Strut Plus, and Sachs.

Do you have any experience with Gabriel's new red Guardian quick struts? They seem like they wouldn't last very long since the Guardian line is more or less equivalent to Monroe's blue Monro-Matic which only lasts 30k.

One more thing: DO NOT use Gabriel struts on the 4th gen Maxima/I30 (95-99). They have elongated holes which will cause an alignment nightmare!

For the price of quick struts you can get some really nice regular struts and reuse the other, probably higher quality components. As someone else said they aren't much more work. Compressing the springs won't kill you! I took the top nut off a strut one time without compressing the spring first. The strut shot apart and the upper mount flew past my head and hit the roof lol Stung my hands a bit but otherwise okay.

I went through the same decision making process as you. Ended up going with OEM ACDelco struts. However, a bunch of them ended up leaking prematurely and I had to replace them (under warranty). I found these spring compressors http://www.eastwood.com/external-coil-spring-compressor.html to be excellent. They handled the springs on my 1/2 ton Chevy just fine. Just use hand tools and not air tools and you'll be good. Also, put a line of oil along the length of the screw before use.

Went through this not that long ago w/the rear shocks on the 05' Focus. First tried the KYB's and they were way too stiff. Very unpleasant ride. Had the KYB's on for about 11 months and came to the conclusion things were not going to improve. Replaced the KYB's w/the least expensive Gabriels. Better ride, but I still not satisfied. Then I ordered the Sach's. So much better. Very comfortable ride. Wish I ordered these the first time! As far as the struts or complete struts. I'd go w/just the struts and reuse your existing springs. I'd personally go for the Sachs all the way around.

I've had very good luck with Monroe's Quickstruts. I got them for my wife's Pontiac during their "Shocktober" event a few Octobers ago which meant that it was buy 3 get 1 free. They were easy to put in and only took me about 6 hours with basic hand tools and going pretty slow. They are holding up nicely(no surface rust after three winters) and still handle very well after 25K miles or so. Just make sure you get your alignment checked after you let the car sit and settle for a few weeks because if your struts are as bad as my wife's your car will look like it is lifted 2-3" and the alignment will be pretty far off.

I thought about getting quick struts, but keeping the old ones around. If the QS's wore out, buy a better set of struts and swap my old springs onto them, then install that setup.

Reason being, I don't have the tools to compress the spring, and I'm not sure I want to either. Local garage can do that for me, cheaply.

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
Compressing the springs won't kill you! I took the top nut off a strut one time without compressing the spring first. The strut shot apart and the upper mount flew past my head and hit the roof lol Stung my hands a bit but otherwise okay.

Darwin is going to pay you a visit someday.

The idea of quick struts is great, replacing all the wear items in one shot, but the end result varies from vehicle to vehicle. Some people love them, but the Monroes I installed on my wife's Corolla were too softly sprung and dampened like I hadn't replaced anything at all. So was that a Monroe problem or a quick strut 'one size fits all' problem? Hard to say. I just know I wished I put something else on there. I also wish I didn't recycle the original (apparently higher-rate) springs.

That said, I was MUCH happier with the results when I replaced the struts in my Impreza RS with KYB Excel-G's, replacing the mounts and all the rubber bits but keeping the factory springs. But it was more expensive and a lot more labor-intensive, certainly. The end result was worth it.

I replaced the shocks and struts in my Equinox about 3 years ago with Monroe reflex. I have really enjoyed them but now I am debating if I should have replaced the coils in the front as well. The car still rides well but I feel that the front end is sagging more than it should and I noticed a difference in the ride height versus other Equinox's of its generation. I like the idea of buying the pieces versus an all in one unit. You can choose the parts depending on the type of ride you want (like variable versus constant rate springs etc.) Anything with a lifetime warranty is worth it but you might also incur the issue of paying for the labor to replace them everytime they break down.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

There seems to be a lot of choices in quality levels, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back