Electronic rust prevention devices - do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93
Not really cause galvanizing uses a sacrificial anode such as zinc, where as the electric kits anodize the metal using, well, electricity instead. If you scratched the zinc layer off a galvanized steel pole, the exposed steel will still not corrode because it is still anodized, I would think that the electric devices would work in a similar fashion.
Maybe I should pop a few of my zinc supplement tables into the bucket next time I wash the car

Since when can steel be anodized?

Dunno. Wikipedia doesn't give a date for the origination of the process, but I suppose more extensive searching might turn one up.

" Ferrous metals are commonly anodized electrolytically in nitric acid, or by treatment with red fuming nitric acid, to form hard black ferric oxide. This oxide remains conformal even when plated on wire and the wire is bent"

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Dunno. Wikipedia doesn't give a date for the origination of the process, but I suppose more extensive searching might turn one up.

" Ferrous metals are commonly anodized electrolytically in nitric acid, or by treatment with red fuming nitric acid, to form hard black ferric oxide. This oxide remains conformal even when plated on wire and the wire is bent"

Right, and that black coating is a mixture of oxides, mainly iron (II) and iron (III). No one seriously involved in metal coatings would do that, it requires a secondary means of protection besides those oxides. And that is in no way what the previous poster was implying.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Right, and that black coating is a mixture of oxides, mainly iron (II) and iron (III). No one seriously involved in metal coatings would do that, it requires a secondary means of protection besides those oxides. And that is in no way what the previous poster was implying.

Just addressing your question.

A better answer might be "since 2007" according to these guys.

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~burleigh/JECS_2007.pdf

They mention an acidic process in their introduction, but only give detail for alkaline treatments, as background to their own process.

That assumes you want it to be (somewhat) usefully anodised, of course. I've never had any problem getting iron to anodise to rust.

I think the poster above was describing cathodic protection, so, IF any "ised" ("ized") applied in that case, it'd be "cathodised".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back