401k in safe funds...time to move????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just stay disciplined and you'll be fine.

Last year I put 30% of gross pay towards company retirement plans: 20% in 401K and 10% voluntary pension. I also separately have company pension and maxed out IRA.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Why lose 65% of your TSP to divorce ?
That seems unfair and too much...

She was entitled to 50% for being married to me for my entire career up to that point and I had to give her an extra 10% for her portion of the equity in our house which she didn't want and I only had nine years left to pay it off and I had to give her another 5% for her to leave my pension alone which she was entitled to part of that whenever I retired.

Wayne

Last edited:
I think buying her out of your future pension for 5% of your TSP was a bargain!

The marital assets included TSP, home equity, and future pension earnings, among other property you've not discussed. Your division of that property must include all the assets. Looking just at the TSP might make it seem inequitable.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think buying her out of your future pension for 5% of your TSP was a bargain!

The marital assets included TSP, home equity, and future pension earnings, among other property you've not discussed. Your division of that property must include all the assets. Looking just at the TSP might make it seem inequitable.

She actually wanted me to give her $4,000 in cash which I did not have. She needed money because she did not have a job at the time of our divorce and I told her I would give her the additional 5% for her to finish the divorce so she could get her TSP money sooner. She agreed.

As far as marital property went, she kept her 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, the new $1,500 bedroom set we had just got, the Kirby vacuum cleaner and a few other household furnishings as well as all of the kid's stuff.

I got to keep the house, my 1970 Monte Carlo which I had prior to us being married, my 1998 chevy K1500 truck and the rest of the stuff in the house which was probably not worth as much as the bedroom set since it was all old.

We had no savings and hardly any money in the bank which she took half of. She did take the kid's saving's accounts which she did use to live on but supposedly paid back.

She still made out better than I did plus getting CS for all of these years which she does not spend all on the kids because she still asks me for money for stuff and the kid's keep asking me to buy certain things that she should have bought. Plus she has had the kids the majority of the time so the win goes to her.

I will say that I hate how the system is set up and am a little bitter about it all.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back