Looks like I got a '08 TOYOTA OIL BURNER! (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
THAT is my biggest concern. I'm sure they'd smugly come out and announce that they cant't or perhaps even WON'T put it back together unless I pay and additional $x,xxx to have it bored and even then ... they don't have oversized pistons for the tsb, just normal size.

Man, I have GOT to know if they are scored or not one nut can come off that engine as it'd be a total replacement and boy would they happily gouge me at any dealer who has me by the balls with an engine in pieces. "Sir, these are the facts, you decide, we are sorry that we now have found that the complimentary TSB cannot be applied, we'd be happy to put a reman engine in for you at just $x,xxx"

Most of the Toyota engines that have coked up piston rings are not scoring the cylinder walls. You are getting worked up about something that 98% of the time isn't going to be an issue with your actual engine.

But, if you want to buy/rent a borescope, feel free to knock yourself out.
Pull all 4 spark plugs, put the engine at TDC, inspect 2 cylinders, turn the crankshaft 180 degrees, inspect the other 2 cylinders, and you're done. Takes about 15 minutes.

BC.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
did the PO disclose this issue to you?

I approached this vehicle with caution and a distinct desire for a fair price, which I think I did get.

Basically if I was looking at a 2AZ-Fe.... I assumed it does or will burn oil.

Disclosed he did indeed... "some varying oil burning", which I already expected because of the "known" nature of the issue. In that way I "knew" what I was getting into, not upset about the situation and the price was fair.

Am I disappointed in the actual amount she's burning at/rate 1 quart per 675 miles... you bet, That's my luck, I'm getting used to it, hey... when I go in the ground it'll all be solved anyways LOL until then I've just learned to laugh and say "screw it". The same luck that got my '13 Corolla with 12k miles totaled by a looser driver with no valid license and Progressive who wants to fight me. The same luck that had me with a concussion and staples in my head out having to look at cars with $4000 in -20F and ice on the ground. It is soooo fun laying on the frozen ground on cardboard under an old Taurus station wagon to find out it is leaking coolant. And then on to the next and the next and the next..

I love my xB, the little oil guzzling [censored].

Anyways back on topic..... the 200 miles update to come below...

HERE IT IS FOLKS.... 200 miles mark. The blue hash marks on the top dipstick are the extrapolated mileage marks I made with the 100 mile consumption results. Sadly, exactly on track to burn 1 quart per 675miles.

2rfgb9c.jpg

dropbox link if you can't see the tinypic hosted version above:
LINK TO IMAGE IN DROPBOX

I drive a 2AZ-Fe and depending on when and where I check the oil it never moves more than 1/16" including the current OCI I'm 8.5k into.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I drive a 2AZ-Fe and depending on when and where I check the oil it never moves more than 1/16" including the current OCI I'm 8.5k into.

I am very happy for you, really I am,(and that means there is "hope"), I have to try the TCW-3 thing then!

Amazing how this problem was big enough that they have a class action suit and Toyota has already done a "good faith" service extension to 150k for owners.

Makes me really wonder if it was a poor Toyota design or if allll those affected owners across model lines all mistreated their vehicle to cause this. An actual possibility I suppose.

Meanwhile, I'll just watch my level plummet. I think I only have nerves that can handle letting it go to 300 maybe 400 miles for this first test. I have a trip of 200 miles coming up and don't want to chance it being "low-ish" on oil for all that high rev interstate driving. I'd hate to run the engine a quart low on a the last 50 miles of a trip just to "prove" to myself the pace at which it is eating oil....kind counterproductive. I figure if she eats at the same pace from the current 200 mile test point to the 300 miles test point, that I'll have three intervals of data to prove a trend pace of the oil eating to myself.

And hey, maybe a wire will pop loose on her some day and she'll burn up. That'd be the final oil burning she'd ever need to do.

Will keep posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back