MS02 with Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey there

Question for everyone on here.

I've been running Rotella T6 in my car for quite awhile now (since 20k miles) with great results. Did previous UOA via blackstone and everything has looked great.

I now have 70,000 miles on the car - daily driver and it gets driven very hard on nearly daily basis. "italian tune-up" on frequent basis - to aid with the carbon build-up

car:
2013 MK6 Jetta GLI
Stage 2 Tune & many other mods.

Wondering, since I know that Rotella T6 does not have a big amount of Molly additive. Last UOA with 40k miles showed 62/units of Molly

Would it be an issue to add MS02 at my next OCI? Coming very soon, less than 1k miles.

Going to send this oil for a UOA - as it has been awhile...

Would this cause the 5w40 T6 to become to thick for my vehicle?

Last edited:
It won't do any harm and won't cost a lot to try. Give it a go and satisfy your curiosity
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
It won't do any harm and won't cost a lot to try. Give it a go and satisfy your curiosity
smile.gif

How will he know if it does anything?

MS02 isn't something that you'll really "feel" or know its working, especially in a fairly low mileage vehicle. I have had great luck with the stuff in high mileage vehicles though, within a few hundred miles noticeably smoother engine, quieter valvetrain, better MPG etc.

Use it with confidence in ANY oil

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
MS02 isn't something that you'll really "feel" or know its working, especially in a fairly low mileage vehicle. I have had great luck with the stuff in high mileage vehicles though, within a few hundred miles noticeably smoother engine, quieter valvetrain, better MPG etc.

There is no way any of us could ever determine if the additive really does what the package says it does.

And that last statement about better MPG is not something that can be determined within the limits of error.

Molybdenum is ONE choice for an anti-wear and friction modifier additive. Just because an oil doesn't use it, doesn't mean the oil isn't performing the exact same function with other additives. I wouldn't screw around with success.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Molybdenum is ONE choice for an anti-wear and friction modifier additive. Just because an oil doesn't use it, doesn't mean the oil isn't performing the exact same function with other additives. I wouldn't screw around with success.

Great insight here. I'm just unaware of the Rotella T6 and the addatives used that may used to supplement Molly. Say as other additive package(s) break down it may be doing same thing

Should I upload my older UOA results from blackstone? I was planning to send off UOA sample of this current OCI

and add the MS02 addative.. I was thinking 150ml (half bottle) and then next send off UOA when I perform next oil change..

I have 2 blackstone labs bottles avail to be used =).. They sent me some from last time.

Here is the data on my last UOA. This was done at 38,500 miles. I now have 70,000 on car.

5K OCI - Believe had a small boost leak at time and needed to change / clean Cold air intake filter.

13%20GLI-032215_new.jpg

ALUM: 2
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 13
COPPER: 2
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLLY: 62
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON: 18
SILICON: 18
SODIUM: 7
CALCIUM: 867
MAGNESIUM: 1166
PHOSP: 1009
ZDDP: 1285

SUS Visc: 64.1
cST Visc: 11.37
Flashpoint: 395
TBN: 6.2

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of things, moly is usually a friction modifier. Since you're stuck in a higher HTHS regime anyhow, what benefit are you seeking by adding a friction modifier?

Originally Posted By: Garak
In the grand scheme of things, moly is usually a friction modifier. Since you're stuck in a higher HTHS regime anyhow, what benefit are you seeking by adding a friction modifier?

Lower wear ?

Just for a more coating on engine parts for wear protecting and longevity. Or is this not a worry when running T6 due to the additives and anti-wear properties of this oil?

Well, for lower wear, you need a fairly high concentration of moly, and I'm not sure we're qualified to figure out how to set that up correctly for a fully formulated motor oil. I do know that some claim some fuel economy benefits with moly, though.

With the specifications that T6 meets, I wouldn't worry in the least about its anti-wear capabilities.

I would think the MOS2 probably a better match for the lower tier Rotellas that have no moly. T6 probably uses tri-nuclear moly and the Mos2 if anything may be a detriment in that oil.

JMO.

I like and have used MOS2 in the Jeep. It runs quieter and I got a small mpg increase. Not enough of a sample size, but the 1 UOA I did with it actually showed higher "wear numbers" than PYB without the additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back