Kombucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone?
I love the stuff,
First time I tried it was in Romania

Right now, I have a big glass jug of Kombucha that's Tangerine and Seasalt, bought at natural grocers, local made in Austin texas

You know what's in it right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPs8GcYcEgA

sick.gif
37.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie
You know what's in it right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPs8GcYcEgA

sick.gif
37.gif

So what? A large number of the food and beverages you consume are the result of fermentation and bacterial action. Bread, cheese, beer, wine and yogurt just to mention a few all rely on either bacteria or yeast fermentation. Even that morning cup of coffee wouldn't be possible without fermentation. And if you really are frightened of a little bacteria, take a few minutes and research how much bacteria is already in your gut.

It's a shame when people actually don't know where their foods come from or how they're made.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

So what? A large number of the food and beverages you consume are the result of fermentation and bacterial action. Bread, cheese, beer, wine and yogurt just to mention a few all rely on either bacteria or yeast fermentation. Even that morning cup of coffee wouldn't be possible without fermentation. And if you really are frightened of a little bacteria, take a few minutes and research how much bacteria is already in your gut.

It's a shame when people actually don't know where their foods come from or how they're made.

I actually started taking bacteria "pearls" after I had to use antibiotics intensively for over a week (also had a couple of IV doses thrown in) and yogurt was not helping my gut get back to its normal level of functioning. They definitely made a difference, things started getting better the day after I started taking them. There must have been a dozen different brands of them at Walgreens, seems like a hot market right now...

I've bought the store stuff which I suspect isn't as wholesome.

What I didn't realize was that certain versions of the drink have to be sold legally as beer due to it containing a certain amount of alcohol from the fermentation.

I used to make it but after about 6 months I stopped. It was just too much kombucha -- the mushroom would just grow in size and I would separate and start brewing with the children in a separate container.

In a very short time, I had a full fledged production going with only myself to drink all that kombucha.

And if you really are frightened of a little bacteria, take a few minutes and research how much bacteria is already in your gut.

About 1-3 kg worth of bacteria as well.

Diverse_e_Coli.png

Originally Posted By: Kira
Yes, but ours are pretty bacteria. No telling what's in COSTCO Kombucha. Kira

Whats to say its any different than yours? Objective evidence???

Deriding a fad product (surges in popularity create opportunities for fraudulent bandwagoneers) sold in bulk by an outfit which caters to resellers indicates the very high likelihood of profiteering.

Skepticism is no substitute for knowledge but it's a great place to start.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I actually started taking bacteria "pearls" after I had to use antibiotics intensively for over a week (also had a couple of IV doses thrown in) and yogurt was not helping my gut get back to its normal level of functioning. They definitely made a difference, things started getting better the day after I started taking them. There must have been a dozen different brands of them at Walgreens, seems like a hot market right now...

Those "pearls" are actually probiotics that will help grow healthy gut flora when taken regularly. It assists your body by assisting in breaking down foods so your body can get the full benefit of it's full value.

It's honestly changed my life in ways I never thought possible.

Interesting that we have a kombucha thread...

A few months ago I started brewing my own kombucha. I used to do it in the early 2000-s but reached a point where I had too much of it in different jars so got tired of it. I used to drink it plain but now I do a secondary fermentation which makes it fizzy.

Originally Posted by OneEyeJack
They have it at Costco at a vary good price.

The Health-Aide stuff is also pretty good, I get that or GT's Trilogy.

I've made kombucha, it's almost like making beer but an aerobic fermentation that's even less tolerant of contamination. Shoot, next time I make it. I might add a hops pellet to keep the bad stuff somewhat at bay.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Interesting that we have a kombucha thread...

A few months ago I started brewing my own kombucha. I used to do it in the early 2000-s but reached a point where I had too much of it in different jars so got tired of it. I used to drink it plain but now I do a secondary fermentation which makes it fizzy.

You were ahead of time!

Homebrewed kombucha tastes much better than one you buy in store. Popularity has its downside. I also like it fizzy and recently tried kombucha coffee which is my new favorite.

Coffee flavor is my favorite. But so far I have been mixing tea kombucha with sweetened coffee for the secondary fermentation. I have enough scobies now and plan to brew coffee kombucha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back