Top 10 Best Auto Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's your top ten?

Here's mine, based on my own biased opinion, from aenecdotal evidence and reviews I've read and watched.

In terms of reliability, affordability, and practicality:

1 & 2 Honda or Toyota, dead even IMHO
3 Hyundai
4 Subaru
5 Nissan
6 Ford / Mazda
7 Mercedes
8 BMW
9 GM
10 Chrysler

Isn't JD Power saying Mazda is cheapest to own currently? I know from the 4 that I've owned, very reliable.....maybe 2 instances of warranty work across all 4 cars.

Oh this should be good. I dont think GM should be that low on the list. The Suburban/Yukon and their counterparts are pretty darn successful. And cant forget about the small block chevy. Almost 50 years and it is still being produced for marine applications. And my 97 Vortec 350 just wont kick the bucket.

Originally Posted By: cdm1993
Oh this should be good. I dont think GM should be that low on the list. The Suburban/Yukon and their counterparts are pretty darn successful. And cant forget about the small block chevy. Almost 50 years and it is still being produced for marine applications. And my 97 Vortec 350 just wont kick the bucket.

That's true, in terms of trucks GM is one of the best. Their daewoo cars though, make me suspicious. Of course, I could always be wrong.

GM
crackmeup2.gif

It's easier to make a list of the bottom 10. There's really no more "Best", it's degrees of goodness and personal preference. What would be more revealing are the three attributes you find most important in determining a car purchase.

I personally put things like "Entertainment" at the top, things like "Handling", "Responsiveness", "Power", etc....so, something like an Alfa 4C would be there. "Timeless style", like a Maserati, maybe an RR Ghost.

But the days of one car or brand or even nationality of manufacture being "Better" are long gone.

Volkswagen makes some great vehicles. I've never owned one but I know they have made Wards top 10 countless times. My 2001 Chevy 1500 finally kicked the bucket at 370k miles. Original transmission wen out at 330k figured instead of replacing the head gasket and frankly everything else warn out after 370k miles I would rather just get a truck note.

Don't forget about the GM 3.8

Audi
BMW
Volvo
VW
Mercedes-Benz
MINI
Jeep
Fiat
Range Rover
Lexus

The list would be different depending on a specific time period

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Audi
BMW
Volvo
VW
Mercedes-Benz
MINI
Jeep
Fiat
Range Rover
Lexus

Dude! Jeep and Range Rover are dead last in terms of problems per 100 vehicles on many reliability reports. Mini, BMW and Fiat are not far behind. Your list reads like the worst of the worst LOL.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Audi
BMW
Volvo
VW
Mercedes-Benz
MINI
Jeep
Fiat
Range Rover
Lexus

Dude! Jeep and Range Rover are dead last in terms of problems per 100 vehicles on many reliability reports. Mini, BMW and Fiat are not far behind. Your list reads like the worst of the worst LOL.

Yes, there are a lot of low-reliability and high cost-of-repair OEMs on that list. Volvo belongs there, Audi gets a provisional OK, BMW belongs there only if you never buy a used one; M-B if you really love the cars but high cost to own (all the German brands have the industry's highest parts costs); the rest is a laundry list of the cars to avoid, actually. Mini. Jeep and Range Rover are amongst the least reliable vehicles you can buy, period.

Originally Posted By: AmoryBlaine
Originally Posted By: cdm1993

That's true, in terms of trucks GM is one of the best. Their daewoo cars though, make me suspicious. Of course, I could always be wrong.

The Aveo didn't do them any favors. And the Suzuki branded Daeewoos we got here pretty much ruined Suzuki here in America.

If your a worry wort that only concerns him/herself with reliability and getting from point A to point B, I can see you picking Honda or Toyota as number one. But it goes far beyond that. I'd take a VW Golf over a Toyota Corolla, even though the Corolla is cheaper and more reliable. The Golf is a much better drivers car and that overcomes my worry wort fear factor. However, if I had a daughter I was sending off to college, I'd buy her a Corolla.

My list would be:

1)Toyota
2)Honda
3)Lexus
4)Acura
5)Subaru
6)Hyundai
7)KIA
8)Mazda
9)Nissan
10)GM (guys, really, they make OK stuff).

That list was a real struggle.

I avoided FIAT/Chrysler, they are dead last IMO. Avoid at all costs.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Volkswagen makes some great vehicles. I've never owned one but I know they have made Wards top 10 countless times.

I think Ward's gives everything a "best" at least once. Their articles are usually "10 best new whatever", thus everything has a shot at being best.

In term of reliability and affordability Toyota and Honda were and are at the top of any study the last 15-20 years.

Just look at the 5 best selling cars of the last 15 years, they were and are: Camry, Accord, Civic and Corolla. Very rarely either one of those 4 wasn't in the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back