What is the worlds best degreaser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am trying to clean my diesel injection fuel pump from the outside. The body is made out of cast aluminum and has many nooks and crannies everywhere with hidden dirt. The dirt has been "burnt" into the surface and is def. some sort of oil/grease residue from 10-20 years of operation. I still have some fine black spots left - I can scrape them off with my fingernail but my degreaser will not take it even if I pass over with a stiff brush to really work it in. Only a semi hard (or hard) object will physically remove the last coat of dirt.

I have used normal petroleum based engine cleaner and bio cleaners that basically are very caustic soaps.

I am looking for a product that I can spray or brush onto the aluminum surface, let it sit for a while (heck even a day) and then rinse it off with no residue left whatsoever. Anyone with a good idea?

Lucas

diesel...

honestly.

Then you'll either need to let it evaporate off running, or use a light spray can type to get the diesel film off.

The best thing I have ever used to clean an engine besides our 200f degree pressure washer at work Is a product called "super clean" it comes in a Purple bottle and it makes short work of engine funk. Also Berryman engine degreaser is amazing if you can actually find it.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
The best thing I have ever used to clean an engine besides our 200f degree pressure washer at work Is a product called "super clean" it comes in a Purple bottle and it makes short work of engine funk. Also Berryman engine degreaser is amazing if you can actually find it.

+1 - hot water pressure washer

Originally Posted By: LucasDK
Does anyone have experience with Kano Floway?

It works very well.

For carburettors (perhaps a similar problem) I boil with laundry detergent, then put small parts in a glass bottle with carb cleaner.

I've been saving the old brake fluid from recent brake jobs, and next time around I'm going to try that. Strips paint so it might be effective.

If you dont want to take it off the car I'd say give it a long sluicing with boiling water, then a brush and gunk/carb cleaner/brake cleaner/brake fluid/petrol/diesel.

An old toothbrush might be useful, or a bit of wire rope in a drill chuck.

Last edited:
I have used citra solv with great results in an industrial setting. Thought have not tested it on aluminum. Works 100 times better than any citrus clean you can get from walmart. Works as good, and even better than most OTC degreasers. and smells better:) You can find it on Amazon or in your local health good store. We get it from an industrial supplier, in gallon containers.

Citrus based degreasers tend to work very well. Other than those I've had really good luck with soaking the crud down with a good penetrating oil and scrubbing then follow up with the normal degrease method.

I use Purple Power and then work it into the crevices with an acid brush. But you don't want to let that stuff sit too long; it's too corrosive. Spray it on, work it in, and then rinse off immediately. Repeat if necessary for the spots you missed.

the gel type engine degreaser by Gunk has worked well for me if you follow the directions and let it soak in on a cold engine, and blast off with a hose.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I use Purple Power and then work it into the crevices with an acid brush. But you don't want to let that stuff sit too long; it's too corrosive. Spray it on, work it in, and then rinse off immediately. Repeat if necessary for the spots you missed.

Good point Merkava 4!

I will add this, that even after rinsing with water you may still want to clean it further as the cleaner can have staying power. So, on small orifices or delicate surfaces (as in a carburetor) this may be of help. Also, you can soak carb parts in gasoline and I suspect you could soak diesel fuel parts in diesel fuel. Then agitate with compressed air, a stiff brush, or whatever!

PPC Crud Remover is pretty amazing.
KBS Kleen is great too, maybe not as strong as PPC when both used full strength, but it's a lot less expensive and works better when diluted. I don't know why exactly, but that's my experience.
Both are extremely hard on your skin, wear gloves and eye protection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back