Lifter Soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

I had a set of hydraulic lifters that wouldn't pass the test, check ball was stuck open. Soaked them for about a month in acetone, ATF, and MMO. They then checked OK, installed them in a rebuilt motor, ran it today, they worked great.

This acetone and whatever-you've-got advice posted all over this board is for real. It worked great. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Why atf?

Perhaps because a mix of ATF and acetone is supposed to be an excellent home brew penetrating oil that outperforms many commercially blended products.

Andrew S.

I have a steering column U-joint for a 528e marinating in an Olive jar full of ATF, MMO and a little stale gas. It is from my first 528e. My son noticed it. It worsened on the Borman 6's last road trip to Chattanooga, south to Ellijay GA. Next stop Hartford CT. I loosened up the steering box and tapped the frozen u-joint off the shaft. That would have been the summer of '08. I dunked a U-joint harvested from a parts car for a week that went onto the car. The original has been sitting on shelf, for 8 yrs, just waiting. Beside it, is a baby food jar with a few good injector seals marinating in MMO. Up here in the rust belt, stuff like this. happens all the time. PB Blaster is OK,but pricy. ATF is always around, as is MMO and gas. I don't know why ATF is good as a rust preventer , but it is. I had an old Dart that had a weepy rear seal on the transmission. The body was rusted to the door handles, but the under side was like new. It used a qt of ATF a month.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Why atf?

Perhaps because a mix of ATF and acetone is supposed to be an excellent home brew penetrating oil that outperforms many commercially blended products.

Andrew S.

Interesting - never hear of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back