2015 Audi S5 sportback factory oil 4,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have just got the report for my first ever oil analysis so am eager to get some feedback from the knowledgeable folks here. I already looked at similar reports of factory oil from new cars and it appears that high Al and Si is not uncommon and even to be expected? My oil lab (in the UK) doesn't seem quite as informative (in terms of comments) as the ones I have seen on here so I'd appreciate some of your comments to put my mind at ease.

Since its factory oil I do not know what brand it is, but I believe it should be Castrol longlife 5W30. As I understand it European Audis are delivered with 'regular' fully synthetic oil, the same as is used for dealer oil changes. Just to confirm the oil miles and car miles are both 4,200 (11 months from new).

Code:

SYMPTOMS: Note levels of:- Silicon and Aluminium

DIAGNOSIS: Silicon possibly dirt or antifoaming additives in oil, aluminium is piston rings wear

ACTION: Physical properties and additive levels satisfactory. No fuel dilution

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES

Viscosity @ 40°C cSt 69.2

Water Content %wt 0.0

Fuel Dilution % 0

Total Insoluble Matter %wt 0.3

Total Base Number mgKOH/g 3.2

SPECTROCHEMICAL ANALYSIS

Iron ppm 46

Chromium ppm 1

Aluminium ppm 21**

Molybdenum ppm 1

Copper ppm 35

Lead ppm 0

Tin ppm 1

Nickel ppm 1

Silicon ppm 48**

Sodium ppm 8

Boron ppm 3

Vanadium ppm 0

Calcium ppm 1676

Phosphorus ppm 633

Zinc ppm 93

Magnesium ppm 8

Barium ppm 0

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
That is some low zinc. I know nothing about such things; curious about that...

Typo, maybe 930?

Definitely a mistake - Zn and P are linked in a fairly fixed ratio - Zn levels should be in the same region as P. There is no mechanism by which Zn can be selectively 'lost' from the oil. Looks like either an ICP operator error or some kind of transcription error.

Thanks guys, it was my mistake. I must have deleted a number when I was creating the post. I rechecked my report and the Zinc is 793 ppm.

Any comment on my Al and Si numbers?

Having looked @ a lot of UOAs but being no authority on them, I will suggest early factory fill UOAs probably aren't going to tell you much. Hi Siilcon can be from silicon sealers used in assembly and an other high metals can be from "wear in"

People say modern engines are broken in quickly, but even Honda UOAs seem to show a lot of break in metals even 15-20K into its life.

I would sit tight and maybe not do a UOA until 30 or 40K; UOAs should be used for trend analysis, a single data point isn't going to tell you much unless something catastrophic is happening to the engine.

+
Originally Posted By: Dippy
Thanks guys, it was my mistake. I must have deleted a number when I was creating the post. I rechecked my report and the Zinc is 793 ppm.

Any comment on my Al and Si numbers?
It is a new engine there will be high wear metals etc for the first few oil changes. Here is a link to a brand new
toyota P/u that has several UOAs look at how the metals drop. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back