GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
I recently purchased a 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP

The dealer asked if I wanted an expensive optional nav system ?...

I declined his offer saying that I planned to install the full-function interactive intuitive user-friendly global position/navigation system from the old van.
It is a simple-to-use graphic information format that can be easily expanded if desired.

I installed the first information bundle into the glove-box this morning ---

Unfortunately, most people these days can't find their way from point A to point B without GPS. My wife deals with this on a daily basis as a 911 dispatcher. People call 911 and don't have a clue what road they're on or even what city they're in.

You're going to disappoint the next owner of the van. I'm happy that the previous owner of my car spent the extra $6k or so for the P2 package which included Navigation along with a bunch of other things. Still a Garmin GPS is better just the built in screen is bigger than my Garmin.

Google Navigator is free on my smartphone, is always updated with the latest changes to roads (or as recent as they are known about), has traffic and construction, etc. And I can do it by myself. A map needs a second person unless you stop a lot or dangerously read the map while driving.

Also consider resale. People may be expecting a built-in navigation system.

In the 60's I travelled all over th US and would not be without a road atlas in my car. Today even though I have a cool navigation system, I still carry the latest road atlas.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Google Navigator is free on my smartphone, is always updated with the latest changes to roads (or as recent as they are known about), has traffic and construction, etc. And I can do it by myself. A map needs a second person unless you stop a lot or dangerously read the map while driving.

Also consider resale. People may be expecting a built-in navigation system.

Till your in an area with no cell signal, or you have gone over your data useage for the month.

I still find my 7 year old Garmin (with updated maps) to be the most useful when I need it.
Now days I tend to get the general directions online before I leave, then use the GPS for the end of the trip near where I am going if not familiar. I do use Waze a lot locally, but that is for traffic and accident avoidance.

I would never purchase and in vehicle navigation. Map updates cost money for many and just seems to be a waste of money to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back