Dog tag rust provention test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm not understanding. They all look rusted to me. None show evidence of oilyness or waxiness from the original coating. It looks like you polished the left 2 with a buffer wheel.

I can see how it looks like that.
When I removed the tags they DID all look rusty, but just by handling the tags while washing, it became apparent that two of them, at least, were just coated in mud.

ONLY FINGER RUBBING WAS USED TO CLEAN THE TAGS any black marks you see are grime remains left in crevices or kinks in the metal.

The tags were each scribed at the beginning of the test with identifying letters ie. FF for Fluid Film, PF for Pro Form and WO for the Wax with Oil. These marks can be clearly seen on two of the protected tags.

I am honestly very surprised by the protection provided on the two unblemished tags. I really expected SOME degree of rust on ALL of the tags. and feared that the rust might be so server (considering the conditions) the test would be inconclusive.

I wire wheeled the frame repair and the rails on the Rat. Then I brushed on a coat of linseed oil every time I finished working on it for the day. It took several weeks to dry and it is mostly there 5 yrs later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back