2005 2.4l Accord - consuming oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot imagine spinning a wrench with anything serious in cost to correct this. Oil topping while a pain is quite inexpensive compared to tearing into an 11 year old motor

Originally Posted By: Finz
Good comments all... Thank you

Norman... I switched to HM oil 15k miles ago... This is the 3rd fill with this oil. I fell victim to the marketing of HM oils and also I did note some consumption between OCIs but nothing approaching what I just experienced

I would have guessed that 15k miles over 3 OCIs would have been enough to "teach" my car of this new oil BUT I'm certainly no expert ... A few more miles could be needed?

Buster: that's something.., your car consuming oil like that... I hadnt't heard of that with these engines before but, again, I'm about as far from an expert on this stuff as you can get

I know consuming oil on an older car is just a fact of life but it's a fairly new development that I would like to nip in bud sooner rather than later

Compression test might yield some answers...

Spavel... Seal replacement with no further work - that's a good point which I'll keep in mind

Buster... Going up a grade, especially with water months around the corner, would make a difference I'm sure but as my driving should return to the more normal short-tripping, you raise a good point that the higher rpm/ highway diving was the likely culprit

... So, is it safe to assume , regardless of driving changes, that there is no smoking gun as to why or where this oil is going? Could be any number of things...?

I don't know if this is true or not. Many people think using a high mileage oil doesn't cause any problems. I am not so sure. I have a 2003 Honda 2.4L with 55K miles and won't be in any hurry to change to a high mileage oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6HmEqFdeIY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back