Q About Universal Fit Tie Rod End Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tie rod end boot on the family Ford Freestar may start to go soon. No hole yet, but the rubber is cracking.

I noticed you can get universal tie rod end boots (Dorman), but they are just a slip on. OEM boots seem to be secured by various methods, like a clip or some other method that fixes the boot to the tie rod. Are the slip on boots sufficient to keep water/dirt out? I'm guessing once the joint is bolted back up to the hub, that puts enough pressure on the boot to keep it in place. Or should you get some sort of clip to secure the end?

In my experience, "Universal" means, fits nothing. I find less gas pain using the part that fits.

YMMV

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
In my experience, "Universal" means, fits nothing. I find less gas pain using the part that fits.

True, but it's a waste to replace a perfectly fine joint and get an alignment if the problem is just a torn $5 boot.

I've had new TREs where the bottom wasn't secured except by the springiness of its own rubber and the force from above (steering knuckle end). When I over-grease it oozes out by design. The zip ties are a good idea though.

The Dorman ones will dry rot and crack in a mere couple months.Go with polyurethane or replace the whole tie rod with a quality one (MOOG,etc).

On my Sebring the tie rod goes in from the top and points down. When I first replaced the outer ends (Moog IIRC) they had just the boot that slipped on and depended on the compression between the body of the tie rod and the knuckle to seal. Greased them every couple thousand miles and they still failed after two years to water intrusion & rust. Now replaced with MAS branded ones with clamps.

Originally Posted By: nobb
True, but it's a waste to replace a perfectly fine joint and get an alignment if the problem is just a torn $5 boot.

If you count the threads on the tie rod before pulling it off, you can generally get the new one on in the same position without effecting the alignment. Some guys measure the position of the tie rod with a tape measure. Whichever method you feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back