I rarely buy washer fluid for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some of you can relate to this. I like Rain-X washer fluid. I always keep a gallon on hand. In fact, lately, I've started keeping two gallons on hand and here is why. I top off cars belonging to my mom, girlfriend, and daughter. They wait until their tanks are empty before bringing up the topic. The current size of most reservoirs is practically a gallon so it always seems like I use up my stash on their cars. Good thing I top mine off every few weeks. I never let it run that low.

I call it a cheap way to earn goodwill from the important women in my life. 8-D

I just wish that every time I buy it using the Walmart self checkout that it didn't require "approval." Have you ever actually seen or heard of anyone getting high from washer fluid?

Since I started using Rain-X on the windshield, my washer fluid usage has dropped significantly. Dirt cleans off easily and less fluid is needed. I also try intermittently use the squirters and only clean the windshield until it is usable. Most people I see use them seem to leave the squirters on the entire time they're cleaning the windshield and also seem to use it to get off nuisance items, such as a bug splatter. I'd prefer to wait until the next gas station or until I get home to clean off a tougher blemish.

I've never heard of needing approval to buy washer fluid. Do you guys require approval to buy isopropyl alcohol, and its like, too?

At the Walmarts around here I need approval to buy washer fluid, fuel injector cleaner, any cleaning solvent, spray paint, and who knows what else. I don't recall if it was needed when I bought rubbing alcohol. They are supposed to verify that I am 18 or older.

Strange, right?

I don't use my windshield wipers for bug splatter. No matter how good the wipers or fluid is the stuff just turns from a big splat to an even bigger smear.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If someone wants to drink washer fluid up here, well, I wish them well.

Agreed

Things are pretty sketchy in northern Sask tho. I recall a few trips through the reservations that were eye opening in the 80's. Not sure how things have pro/regressed since then

Lady I used to work with moved here from Albuquerque. She said she worked in a pharmacy when she was younger and an older native American man used to frequent the place and ask for "blue top." Apparently, he used to drink rubbing alcohol. Wow.

If you like the RainX washer fluid, try the concentrate. There's honestly nothing special about it, but I had no problems either. It's doesn't have a crazy color to stain the reservoir or has a crazy smell to hide the real smell of when your washer fluid gets rank. It does for me out here since it rarely rains. (except this year)

It just outright works and the price is right.

Last edited:
The last time I bought a couple gallon was about 15-16 years ago. It used up about 2-3 years ago.

The original OEM washer fluid is still in my S2000, we rarely used washer fluid probably once or twice a year, may be none.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I don't use self-checkouts; I do not want to be a willing partner in a scheme enabling the replacement or reduction of staff.

Same here!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The last time I bought a couple gallon was about 15-16 years ago. It used up about 2-3 years ago.

The original OEM washer fluid is still in my S2000, we rarely used washer fluid probably once or twice a year, may be none.

Same here.

Only time I ever need washer fluid is when driving into the interior BC. Never have I lived anywhere that I purchased at least 2 jugs per year.

As for wiper blades, that's a different story. A pair per year usually (living in a rainforst climate is a real workout on the wiper motor).

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I don't use self-checkouts; I do not want to be a willing partner in a scheme enabling the replacement or reduction of staff.

Same here!

Never underestimate the ability of BITOGER's to go off-topic. I am guilty of doing it plenty, though.

I just buy it by the case at the farm store. During the winter months we'll go through enough to justify having a couple extras gallons on hand, and I never worry about running out. I purchase it from the farm store so it ends up being around $1.00 or $1.10/gallon and never need "approval". But then I don't patronize Walmart, nor their "self service" checkouts.

I haven't bought washer fluid in 10-15 years. Lucky if I use my washer squirters more than a couple times per year. I prefer to just carry a gallon of clean water with me and rinse it down from time to time.

That reminds me, I should check to see how much I have left. I try to only buy the winter rated stuff, and sometimes it isn't around in summer (not that I go out of my way to look for it). Wife uses a fair amount, so I keep a gallons on hand.

Maybe it'll go on sale in a couple of months.

I had a friend who was calling me about once a week to refill his washer fluid.

I thought there was a hole in the reservoir. Until I rode in the car with him ... every 30 seconds he was spraying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back