clunk clunk clunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Leo99
Took a long time struggling with a seized nut last night but with some vise-locks and a lot of struggling, but in the end the strut links came off.

Pro tip, three seconds with a cut-off wheel and they're loose.

The replacements usually have a hex or flat on the rear side by the ball joint.

The ones with allen indentations rarely work out up here in the rust belt.

I just get cheap ones, $10 or so on amazon, and consider them disposable when doing any front end work that requires their removal.

Thanks, while sweating it out last night I was wishing I had a cut off wheel and a set of metric hex sockets. I'm shopping for them at the moment.

My wife is very happy. Between the new tires and the strut links, she says it sounds like a brand new car. Almost.

Thanks for the help to let me know what part to change!

Originally Posted By: Leo99
My Rav4 had a lot of road noise coming from the tires but the tread was good even after 65k miles on the RoadHandlers from Sears. Finally decided to buy new tires and the road noise is gone and it rides very quiet and smooth. Except, when going over a slight bump. There is a clunk when going over any type of bump. Sounds like it's coming from under the front end or engine. It's very hard to locate sounds. I assume some rubber bushing or similar has hardened and it causing the sound. I can't get the car to make the clunk by pushing down on the fenders. The struts are very tight and have no bounce. Is it worth looking for the source of this clunk or just live with it as it just comes with a vehicle with close to 300k miles on it? Anything specific to look at? I'll have it on ramps on Sunday.

Any resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back