roof shingles- come from oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, manufactures just make more profit for a while while they can, but eventually they will drop the price because of competition.

I would hope that asphalt shingles would be dropping in price now that metal (and even solar) roofs are more popular, but I honestly doubt that is actually the case.

My son sells asphalt paving and keeps telling me that they are seeing ever higher prices for asphalt, despite the price of oil being in sharp decline. Apparently the demand is higher than supply as more road paving is going on. This, of course, will affect shingle prices as well.

If people keep buying them because of new construction boom, then it is unlikely it will drop in price despite production cost reduction.

Asphalt is just one of many materials that goes into shingles. To expect much of a price drop isn't realistic.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I would hope that asphalt shingles would be dropping in price now that metal (and even solar) roofs are more popular, but I honestly doubt that is actually the case.

More popular but averaging 3-5 times the cost of a shingle roof in most areas with a similar warranty and wind resistance.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq

More popular but averaging 3-5 times the cost of a shingle roof in most areas with a similar warranty and wind resistance.

Metal is popular around me for shedding snow and preventing ice dams.
I couldn't understand why we had zero ice dams with the very shallow roof on the ranch I grew up in near Chicago...finally realized the insulation was so poor that the heat from the house melted snow almost instantly. The natural gas heat was so cheap that paying for insulation was probably not cost effective...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Asphalt is just one of many materials that goes into shingles. To expect much of a price drop isn't realistic.

Base oil, limestone make asphalt. Then fiberglass mat or old school felt paper. Then colored rock. Add some thremo plastic resin to the asphalt and use that for the tab adhesive. That's about it.

Why is metal so unpopular? Is it ugly or something?

Mine is great. A magnet will attract it, it is just silver/plain/galvanized color. When I first moved in my AC bill was quite low. Now, a few years later under a dead(ish) tree has left soot on most of it and I think it lost its reflective properties.

Other than that, a branch that you can barely hug fell and left a small dent. Then, the hailstorm of 2013 totalled many, many roofs in town, but mine got aero-dimples....:)

Oh yeah, there is asphalt under the metal, they just added metal toit. I dont know if that is standard procedure, or do they usually scrape the asphalt before installing metal?

I sell comp shingles and here's what the reps used to say. Oil went up so we had to increase your price. Or. Oil went down but since asphalt isn't a waste product anymore and refineries don't want to make it your price went up. LOL.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I sell comp shingles and here's what the reps used to say. Oil went up so we had to increase your price. Or. Oil went down but since asphalt isn't a waste product anymore and refineries don't want to make it your price went up. LOL.

I think the same thing happened to paint thinner for oil based paints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back