ATF type f flash point

Status
Not open for further replies.
To help avoid any issues with high flash-points.. you can add the proper Lubegard product.... when making an ATF fluid change.

Lubegard helps to keep the ATF transmission fluid at a lower temperature than normal.

Well the real situation is that I'm wanting to run the SuperTech ATF type f in my yz250 transmission, and after some research I found that it has a terribly low flash point of 201F, so I was curious what the fluid would do if my trans or clutches in my bike got 200+ degrees.

Originally Posted By: Nick1996
Well the real situation is that I'm wanting to run the SuperTech ATF type f in my yz250 transmission, and after some research I found that it has a terribly low flash point of 201F, so I was curious what the fluid would do if my trans or clutches in my bike got 200+ degrees.

Are you certain it's 201 degrees Fahrenheit? Valvoline Type F, according to their datasheet, has a flash point of 190 degrees C, which equates to about 374 F; hard to imagine that Supertech is that low.
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/type_f.pdf

Kevin

Yes sir it's like 90c, that's what is scaring me, and the all their other ATF also has a flash point of 90c, I looked up all the other ATF brands and seen how high they are and that's what made me super concerned about the SuperTech

Yes sir it's like 90c, that's what is scaring me, and the all their other ATF also has a flash point of 90c, I looked up all the other ATF brands and seen how high they are and that's what made me super concerned about the SuperTech

Anything with the flashpoint of 90 C is closer to a fuel then a lubricant.... Got to be a typo. 90c is below the boiling point of water... I doubt ST ATF will flash if dripped in boiling water. I'm not sure summer-blend gasoline would do that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Anything with the flashpoint of 90 C is closer to a fuel then a lubricant.... Got to be a typo. 90c is below the boiling point of water... I doubt ST ATF will flash if dripped in boiling water. I'm not sure summer-blend gasoline would do that.

Per the MSDS he is correct but I would have to assume typo as well...

5. FIRE-FIGHTING MEASURES
Flammable Properties Combustible liquid.
Flash Point 94C / 201F
Suitable Extinguishing Media Use extinguishing measures that are appropriate to local circumstances and the surrounding environment.
Uniform Fire Code • Combustible Liquid: III-B Hazardous Combustion Products Carbon oxides.

Last edited:
Yeah I was wondering if that was close to fuel or something and I thought maybe typo but they have the same exact temp posted on their dexron and ATF +4, so would they typo all of them or could they have just copy and pasted them all the same? Because that is crazy low, and what would happen if it did get above the low flashpoint? Catch fire?

You can run 3 different types of oil in it if you don't want to use atf. rotella 15w40 is what alot of people use. 70wt gear oil is another.

Originally Posted By: abycat
You can run 3 different types of oil in it if you don't want to use atf. rotella 15w40 is what alot of people use. 70wt gear oil is another.

Rotella is what I would use as well.

500 hours on my YFZ450R bottom end and trans on 15w40...last time I split the cases everything was perfect. This bike is used for MX and ditch riding - 14.5 comp, ported head, YFZ cams +1 tooth, Full pipe, ect. Pulling 57hp on the dyno with e85.

Run the same oil in the R1 since 2k miles - 16k now and runs like new - Best pass is a 10.6 and sees 20-30 passes a year plus 2500 miles or so.

That's not possible something wrong with the data sheet, try emailing them. Which Supertech fluid are you looking at? Most of them are screaming bargains, the DexronVI is licensed and just as good as the GM stuff. The Mercon V is also licensed by Ford. The ATF+4 isn't what your looking at but the Supertech is also licensed and exactly the same as the Mopar stuff.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's not possible something wrong with the data sheet, try emailing them. Which Supertech fluid are you looking at? Most of them are screaming bargains, the DexronVI is licensed and just as good as the GM stuff. The Mercon V is also licensed by Ford. The ATF+4 isn't what your looking at but the Supertech is also licensed and exactly the same as the Mopar stuff.

Atf +4

Type F

I emailed them a few days ago for the MSDS before I finally dug it up online, still no response, and yes I run bel Ray gear saver right now but ur comparing $3 a quart for the super tech type f to $10 a quart for the bel Ray gear oil, that's why im wanting to make the switch

Like it has been said before - rotella.

Granted I have ran ATF if the trans hole of a few bikes. Worked just fine.

But again and again I go back to rotella. On teardowns it shows that it works.

If you are deadest on type F... It will work just fine in the 250 and hold up fine. I ran it for years way back in 2 stroke Hondas without a worry. Run one of the other brands that show a higher FP til you find out for sure on the supertech.

Or just grab a quart of Rotella and forget about it as well. The price diffence is small and for the amount the bike takes...its not worth losing sleep over or worrying to much

Last edited:
ok if you want to use an atf get mercon lv. Type f isn't the best anyway. I run 1000 ftlbs through my ford lv and it holds up great for me.

ok if you want to use an atf get mercon lv. Type f isn't the best anyway. I run 1000 ftlbs through my ford lv and it holds up great for me.

LV might be a bit to thin for this application. an AT vs Trans in a dirt bike are a bit different.

I may be wrong however.

Originally Posted By: Brent_G

LV might be a bit to thin for this application. an AT vs Trans in a dirt bike are a bit different.

I may be wrong however.

I thought the same thing but many people are using quite a variety with those bikes. I'm pretty sure 10w30 is recommended in the manual though.

I don't think I ever had a manual for the bikes I had but 10w30 sounds about right. LV is thin but those trans are tough and rarely have issues and would probably do just fine.

I like my Rotella though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back