GDi reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering how reliable are the Hyundai Theta II engine...that motor has been here for a while since the 2011 Sonata, and regardless the sound from that engine when it's cold, how reliable the have been??

I've a 09 Highlander Limited with 95k miles on the odo and the only thing that I've had to replace is the water pump, after that 100% reliable...can we see something like that on the GDi Santa Fe/Sorento?

We just bought a Sorento with the 3.5 Hyundai motor.... after talking with the service manager, I can confirm... stay away ! HE had horror stories for (what seemed like) hours. HE named too many instance of bearing and total engine failure LONG before 100k mi (motor seized).

The DI design itself is actually decent and has been around in European cars for many years.

No issues here with our two or with any of our friend's, even high mileage ones. Both brands have steadily moved up reliability charts as well. But, if you don't trust them, don't buy or lease them, not difficult.

Yes.... Let me clarify, the above issues the service manager mentioned were supposedly ironed out. That said they sure do give away the Sorentos with this motor in them...

Locally you can find the 2.4 version fully loaded with under 59Kmi for $10 !!!! It was VERY tempting not to buy one, but I just cant swing a 4cyl......

My MIL has a 2011 I got for her back in 2012. She's happy with it and has recently got a letter from Hyundai Canada stating that they are aware of the issues with the block and are extending the warranty an additional 10 years/to 200,000 kms for the long block.

If anyone has had engine work done up to this point and has paperwork, Hyundai will reimburse owners accordingly.

Guy that works for me bought a '12 certified sonata from dealer. 6 month later got a new motor as it started knocking like crazy. All covered including rental car but still.

Friend is having a new motor put in his '12 Sorento. Same issue driving home from Florida 3 weeks ago. Got stuck somewhere in SC and had to get towed. New motor just delivered to dealer a couple days ago. Also under warranty. He loves the Sorento but will be driving to dealer next door and getting something else. His Elantra has 250k and is a city beater, he was hoping the Sorento would take it's place when it dies.

I doubt that GDI is the problem. Sounds like Hyundia is stepping forward like a good company would. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from a company like this. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back