05 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 05 honda accord 4 cyl with 183k. Don't see any leaks or burning any oil. Previous owner went to quick lube places. It calls for 5w2
0 going to see what you guys recommed. My eyes is on either mobil super 5000 or pennzoil yellow bottle
Thanks

I'd go with 5w20 Pennzoil High Mileage or Valvoline MaxLife for your next oil change. Then you can switch to the Mobil 5000 or Pennzoil yellow bottle if you want. I'd change the pcv valve on the car with an oem version. Usually the internal spring breaks around 60k miles.

Hondas, in general, can use any oil and go 300,000 miles. If you have an automatic transmission, drain and refill frequently as they aren't the best transmissions around. 183,000 miles on a Honda automatic transmission is quite a lot.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd go with 5w20 Pennzoil High Mileage or Valvoline MaxLife for your next oil change. Then you can switch to the Mobil 5000 or Pennzoil yellow bottle if you want.

+1......In addition to the above recommendations.... Mobil Super 5w20 HM... would be a good lower cost option, or Mobil 1 HM.

PYB or QSGB would be fine.
Vote with your wallet.
If you see consumption, go to a 5W-30.
No need for an HM oil since Honda engines don't typically leak oil.

What's your intended OCI? Both of the oils you're considering are quality products.

For the oil filter, my recommendation is Carquest Red R84356. VERY good filter for the price!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
They didn't have all the transmission bugs worked out yet, hopefully you don't have any issues

For the most part they did. The worst ones were the V6 models esp with the 6th gen Accords(98-02). To a lesser extent the 7th gens had some issues with the V6 automatics as well. Which were the 03-07 models.

I used to own an 2005 Honda Accord V6. (I sold it because I bought a 2013 Accord V6; it was in good shape when I got rid of it.) With respect to the seventh-generation, my research indicated to me that transmission issues were primarily limited to V6-powered vehicles in model years 2003 and 2004.

Your Accord falls under neither of those categories, so I wouldn't worry about it more than I would with any other car at your level of mileage.

As for your oil - basically any 5W20 or 0W20 will do it, so long as it meets API SL (ILSAC GF-3) standards or better. Basically, just buy a reputable brand (Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, etc.) from your local hardware store or Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't worry too much about your Accord's engine, the K24A4. Based on extensive experience in BITOG and elsewhere, it's known to be a very stout engine that's easy on oil.

I have a 2003 K24 engine and have had no problems. It is very smooth and burns no oil in 5000 mile OCI on conventional oil.

There are issues to be on the lookout. K24 engines have had some problems however that don't always present themselves in early ownership it seems.

The two problems are improper heat treating of cam lobes causing pitting of the cam lobes and defective oil control rings. These problems seem to vary with the year.

I would suggest you become educated about these issues. NHTSA has a complaint registry that is very informative.

K24 engines are great unless you have the unfortunate luck to get a bad one. 2008 versions appear to have been a year that had more frequent problems with oil control rings.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-accord-cross...-crazy-2920662/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back