Vehicle mainteance and repair costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
54k miles and needed and O2 sensor?

Fried at 40K. $75.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I believe the OP wanted to calculate the per mile cost of ownership above the fixed costs.

My man! Exactly.

Well, in each person's case it is a single data point that can be easily swung drastically one way or another. For example if the transmission failed tomorrow your cost/mile would drastically change overnight. Spread out over a fleet and you get enough data points to make the calculations relevant for comparison purpose.

Originally Posted By: deoxy4
years of ownership: 11.5 years
Total cost repair and maintenance: $1625

Nice. I think I spend this much per year.
smile.gif

Last year it may have been more than that.

Maintenance/repairs: .05 per mile (incl. "elective surgery"...paint, tint)
gas: .10 (has varied from .07 to .12)
depreciation: .07
total, car-specific costs: .22/mi. (over 3.5 years/40k miles)

insurance: .10 (has been .10 on each of the last 3 cars)

Total operating cost: .32 per mile

Last edited:
I calculated the same costs (tires, batteries, oil changes, repairs, etc) for my '86 Volvo 740 Turbo. I bought it new and kept it for 18 1/2 years and 285,000 Km. I was quite busy at the time so I had all of the maintenance done by a non-dealer specialty shop. It was our only vehicle for about half that time.

It averaged just over $1100/year. Expensive, but too bad for a european car I kept for a very long time and could have taken anywhere. We did take it on a 6000 Km trip when it was 9 or 10 years old and were taking it regularly on 4000 Km trips when it was 13 years old. It also looked good, rode well, and handled well (for a Volvo anyway).

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
$2000 repair spread out 8-10 years is peanuts. Its worth spending $2000 on transmission and drive vehicle another 150K miles.

That's what I would do. The 5-speed manual hasn't given me a problem. Clutch should be good for another few years.

The costs look great however folks need to realize you left out the paltry 4500 miles travelled per year and your overall mileage of 54kish.

You are still in the new in terms of miles portion of vehicles life and your low costs so not surprise me much. If you had 150k and even twice the overall cost I'd be highly impressed.

The good part is you have a while longer before mileage repairs get you.

Enjoy !

I owned a Subaru wrx and had a similar experience over 7 years/90k. Apparently the ownership one year later at 115k for next buyer went downhill fast.

Bought one of those for the Ex.

Never went through so many front windshields in my life.

Thing was like magnet for rock damage.

Last edited:
I had a shop do it. I don't have the tools or time for that sort of thing anymore.

I've put over 105k miles on the rebuild, so they did it right. In fact, I had the timing belt changed 15k miles ago. The rear main may be leaking a bit now as I have to lay down a bit of cardboard in the garage. I'll have it fixed IF I need a new clutch or it just starts pouring out.

I can add a lot of $2/quart oil for the price of doing that work.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Honda family here, only regular maintenance. Nothing major.... just adding refrigerant to A/C every few years.

Javacontour,
Did you rebuild the engine or have a shop rebuild it?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I had a shop do it. I don't have the tools or time for that sort of thing anymore.

I've put over 105k miles on the rebuild, so they did it right. In fact, I had the timing belt changed 15k miles ago. The rear main may be leaking a bit now as I have to lay down a bit of cardboard in the garage. I'll have it fixed IF I need a new clutch or it just starts pouring out.

I can add a lot of $2/quart oil for the price of doing that work.

Same here.....you might consider a heavy rubber carpet mat instead of the cardboard....easy to clean.....seems less a mess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back