'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Valvetrain Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone dropped off this Jeep for me for some work, first off was a valve cover gasket. I could see smoke constantly at idle with the hood open.

It has 109K KM.

nhN9Sb2.jpg

Yes, that's a block heater cord. It doesn't get cold enough around here to be using it. But its there if the owner needs to use it.

Definitely very clean. I think its been on conventional all its life. The person who brought it to me got this car for free... The reason the previous owner didn't want it cause it was too much of a hassle to fix... Doesn't seem like it to me. The oil smelt like it was loaded with fuel when I was changing it. This engine seems to have lots of oil left over on the rocker arms. Oil was dark again right after changing.

So far I've done to this... not going to name the little wear and tear items.

Water Pump
Serpentine Belt
Oil & Filter, Air Filter too - Very dirty.
Spark Plugs - guy said it felt sluggish, changed them anyways
Valve Cover Gasket

Still have to do...

Lubricate Chassis
Transmission Service - Pan Drop / Filter Change
Oil Pressure Sensor - Went bad after I changed the oil.. Coincidence?

Last edited:
The oil pressur sender is right next to the filter. The first time I changed my oil on the jeep I broke my sender too lol.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
The oil pressur sender is right next to the filter. The first time I changed my oil on the jeep I broke my sender too lol.

They must sell a lot of those sensors. I did the exact same thing on my 97 Cherokee on the first oil change.

Use Mopar for the sensor or you'll likely be doing it again soon.

Looks good! Mine is nowhere near that clean up top, and that's after almost 50k or fanatic maintenance and cleaning efforts. Once neglected it's hard to clean the top up.

I imagine I have made good progress on the rest that I can't see though.

Looks alright although I an not a fan of that carbon near the front of the engine. He must have used PYB and caused sludge.

Normally the 4.0 is good for ~ 300,000 miles with so so care. The real main seal usually needs replacing every 100,000 but, it is a two piece seal so no biggie. Ed

Fuel dilution in the oil makes me wonder if it needs injectors.

I can report that using QS Defy resulted in one of the best UOA reports Blackstone had EVER seen from a 4.0 Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back