Valvoline Asian Vehicle Antifreeze with Zerex Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting... I've never seen Zerex Asian at WM. They recently changed their label, FWIW. Does it say silicate and borate free? I'd say it's probably the same stuff. Is the fluid pink?

I don't like premixed, I rather buy specific Honda or Toyota or Mazda concentrate at Pep Boys for $20. I don't remember the brand name. It is much easier to use concentrate then top off with distilled water to make the system close to 50-50. Assumed that you flushed the system and only distilled water remain when you pour in new coolant.

I have a Tacoma, and flushed the radiator a few years ago, refilling with Zerex Asian, which my research showed to be exactly the same stuff as Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant). As someone mentioned above, it meets Toyota's demand for a silicate and borate-free coolant.

If I remember right, Toyota LLC (Long Life Coolant), the red stuff, can also be used, but the drain interval is shorter.

I also seem to recall from my research that the Zerex stuff is made by Ashland, which is also Toyota's supplier. So it makes sense that it's now also being sold under the Valvoline brand. That's a good thing, as I recall having to go out of my way to obtain the Zerex Asian a few years ago. Had to go to NAPA to get it, as your regular Auto Zones and Advances, etc, didn't carry it back then. Maybe they do now.

The Zerex via walmart is only online, and through a 3rd party, not Walmart.com. There are shipping fees attached. It comes out to be a little bit more than I can but it everyday at napa or O'Reillys when you look at the total cost, but not very far off.

Yes, it's Valvoline/Zerex and it's the same. It is NOT the same as SLLC ("Pink"), it is the same as LLC ("Red"). The color in the description says "pink" because it is premixed, not for SLLC equivalency.

I am totally w/HTSS_TR - get the concentrated Pentofrost or Toyota OE for the same price or better and dilute to what you want. You will always end up below 50/50 if you flush and then leave water in the heater core. If you are only draining/filling, it can work if no more than 50/50 is what you need (and that's not good enough in the norther tier of the US or in most of Canada IMO).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I have a Tacoma, and flushed the radiator a few years ago, refilling with Zerex Asian, which my research showed to be exactly the same stuff as Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant). As someone mentioned above, it meets Toyota's demand for a silicate and borate-free coolant.

If I remember right, Toyota LLC (Long Life Coolant), the red stuff, can also be used, but the drain interval is shorter.

I also seem to recall from my research that the Zerex stuff is made by Ashland, which is also Toyota's supplier. So it makes sense that it's now also being sold under the Valvoline brand. That's a good thing, as I recall having to go out of my way to obtain the Zerex Asian a few years ago. Had to go to NAPA to get it, as your regular Auto Zones and Advances, etc, didn't carry it back then. Maybe they do now.

Toyota super long life is the pink coolant. Zerex asian is more like the toyota red stuff. When it leaks and dries it doesn't crust up like the pink stuff.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I don't like premixed, I rather buy specific Honda or Toyota or Mazda concentrate at Pep Boys for $20. I don't remember the brand name. It is much easier to use concentrate then top off with distilled water to make the system close to 50-50. Assumed that you flushed the system and only distilled water remain when you pour in new coolant.

This is the generic version of Toyota Pink Concentrate that is sold at pepboys...

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/...70763_affiliate

I prefer to dilute it myself as well.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

REAL Toyota SLLC (Pink) is only available as 50/50.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

Toyota super long life is the pink coolant. Zerex asian is more like the toyota red stuff. When it leaks and dries it doesn't crust up like the pink stuff.

Believe me, it's the exact same stuff. Zerex Asian = Toyota SLLC. Toyota even has a deal with Ashland to supply it to their dealers. I remember from my research on it a few years ago.

It's 10-year, 150K coolant.

The crystals around the overflow on my Taco right now are even pink!
smile.gif

Quote:
....Zerex asian is more like the toyota red stuff.

Not true. Current ZAF (Asian PHOAT) is same as the newer/newest Asian extended/long life AF's like Honda Type 2, Toyota SLL and the newer Nissan blue long life AF. Also like those, only comes in a premix. Toyota Red concentrate is older Asian PHOAT with shorter ~2 year/30k mile maintenance interval.

Looking at the Valvoline Zerex site looks like they may have changed the ZAF jug some and added a blue tint option to match Honda and Nissan, but other than that same stuff. And still premix. Haven't see it sold at WM in past though, be new add to shelves.

As pointed out PepBoys now has OEM brand made by Recochem Asian PHOAT that comes in a concentrate. Something to consider as more cost effective alternative to the oem premixes.

Believe me, it's the exact same stuff. Zerex Asian = Toyota SLLC. Toyota even has a deal with Ashland to supply it to their dealers. I remember from my research on it a few years ago.

What kind of research? I would think that at a minimum you would have to start with a vacuum distillation and proceed from there.

I have a Tacoma, and flushed the radiator a few years ago, refilling with Zerex Asian, which my research showed to be exactly the same stuff as Toyota SLLC (Super Long Life Coolant.

Same here. I used Zerex Asian in my 98 Tacoma after flushing and replacing the radiator. Bout it at O'Reilly's.

Toyota uses CCI Illinois to supply their US operations and aftermarket service. Zerex was orginally BASF's North American coolant brand until it was sold to Ashland(and they still use BASF's Glysantin formulations, as they do supply BMW/Mercedes/VW here). I'm pretty sure Ashland buys the Asian formula from CCI and packages it as their own.

Toyota pink is a pOAT with sebacate or benzoate as the organic acid. Toyota red is phosphated but doesn't use an organic acid. I think this PQIA test shines light on CCI's Golden Cruiser coolant brand - and the labeling looks strikingly similar to Toyota/Honda/Subaru service product, especially the verbiage:

http://www.pqiadata.org/GCSuperExtended LifeAntifreeze.html

Last edited:
^^^Not sure where you got the info that Toyota Red doesn't use OAT type inhibitor but Toyota Red ingredients from the jug state, Ethylene Glycol(107-21-1),Diethylene Glycol(111-46-6) Water(7732-18-5) Orangic Acid Salt(532-32-1) Hydrated Inorganic Salt(1310-58-3).
To me that means OAT type AF, just not the extended/long life like SLL pink. The SSL pink states it uses Sebacic Acid.

And Toyota says the pink and red are compatible however if one wants the SLL extended service interval, a complete exchange/is needed.

But back to topic, though I don't like premix, I'd be confident to use ZAF in place of SLL pink, Honda Type 2, Nissan new blue and Mazda Green.

But PB oem Asain PHOAT concentrate still be my preference. And one can pick the AF tint to match the oem.

^^^Interesting. Shipping or pick up not available here.

"Silicate free, phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology
•Provides protection of 5 years or 150,000 miles"

Sounds like current ZAF to me. Perhaps a packaged for WM, Zerex Asian Formula. So ZAF by another name?

Where does the topic'd VAV AF say phosphate free?

Description says, "Silicate free, phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology"

Reads Asian PHOAT to me. Same as ZAF.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Where does the topic'd VAV AF say phosphate free?

Description says, "Silicate free, phosphate Hybrid Organic Acid Technology"

Reads Asian PHOAT to me. Same as ZAF.

You are right. And Zerex Asian is the equivalent of Toyota SLLC.

I should've been more specific, but I was trying to clarify the phosphate thing as someone posted that Toyota SLLC uses organic technology while the LLC uses phosphates but not the organic technology, which is untrue.

The SLLC and LLC use BOTH the organic acid and inorganic inhibitors, hence the acronym pHOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back