TENS electronic pulse devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
some years ago I had a medical problem and a pulse device called TENS was suggested but was too expensive. Now I see similar units for $25-35 on line. Any experience or comments? Thanks!

My mom got one from the VA and let me try it out. I have
2 torn discs (l4-l5)
And a bulged disc as well.

The device did absolutely nothing for me. I have heard from a coworker that they do help him a tad, but his back is nowhere near as shot as mine, and i dont know what's wrong with his, or if he even knows

Hope it helps you

I have one. Think I paid about $25 for it. You can google for the best settings for your needs. I can't say if it's different or the same as the unit you priced years ago. My guess is that it does the same thing but the power of the internet makes them affordable "without a prescription". My stomach can't handle anything stronger than a couple Tylenols. So, it's either Tylenol or a non-drug treatment when my sciatica acts up.

Originally Posted By: rickmeseke
My mom got one from the VA and let me try it out. I have
2 torn discs (l4-l5)
And a bulged disc as well.

The device did absolutely nothing for me. I have heard from a coworker that they do help him a tad, but his back is nowhere near as shot as mine, and i dont know what's wrong with his, or if he even knows

Hope it helps you

Yep. I have 2 bulged discs, spinal arthritis, and a huge hernia in one disc. With muscle loss.

Didn't work for me either. Steroid injections, however made me a new man.

My neurologist told me TENS is mostly for stuff like fibromyalgia and things. Not so much mechanical problems.

(and the cheapo ones are not real TENS units)

Good luck. I suggest seeing a pain mgmt doc.

Last edited:
I don't take any drugs or medications of any sort. On occasion, if I get a bit sore or tight in my shoulders I'll use one of the little TENS unit to help relax it. Far better than gobbling handfuls of pills, and it works quite well for that.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I don't take any drugs or medications of any sort. On occasion, if I get a bit sore or tight in my shoulders I'll use one of the little TENS unit to help relax it. Far better than gobbling handfuls of pills, and it works quite well for that.

Yes, that kind of soft tissue stuff is where TENS excels. (Although it's silly to deny yourself effective medication if needed)

I've had good luck with them on muscle injuries. My secretary has a bad problem with her sciatic nerve and a TENS has done more than any doctor or therapist has been able to do over the last decade, she has no issues now and can head off being crippled with a few sessions.

We have a couple of the middle priced consumer units. They both work well and help with muscle pain.

However, they are not as good as the true professional units that my doctor uses for my damaged shoulder. That unit is truly amazing.

I had one years ago that was around $300. Worked great and finally died after many years use. Found one on Amazon for $35 and it works just like the more expensive one.
It works great on muscular issues, not so much on bone, joint and arthritic type issues. Mixed results on sciatic type pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back