Just saw a single bottle of Synpower 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
at my local Meijer of all places. No other bottles of the 0w-40. The rest were 5w-40. Wondering if it was a stocking mistake.

My local Meijer has shelf labels for Synpower 5w40 and 0w40, both rows empty. The 0w40 label was not previously there.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
My local Meijer has shelf labels for Synpower 5w40 and 0w40, both rows empty. The 0w40 label was not previously there.

Good to know. I may switch to the 0w-40. Slightly lower NOAK than the 5w-40.

Was back at my Meijer. Now they have labels for the 0w-40 in quarts and in 5 gallon jugs. Only $24.99 for the five gallon. Deal of the century, but none in stock yet.

VeeDubb,

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Was back at my Meijer. Now they have labels for the 0w-40 in quarts and in 5 gallon jugs. Only $24.99 for the five gallon. Deal of the century, but none in stock yet.

Is it the same oil as SynPower 0W-40 sold in Europe? Specs are available at http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(7535)/synpower_0w-40

Approvals
BMW LL-01
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700/0710
VW 50200/50500
Performance levels
ACEA A3/B4
API: SL, SN
MB-229.3, 229.1, 226.5

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
VeeDubb,

Is it the same oil as SynPower 0W-40 sold in Europe? Specs are available at http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower/cid(7535)/synpower_0w-40

Approvals
BMW LL-01
MB-Approval 229.5
Porsche A40
Renault RN0700/0710
VW 50200/50500
Performance levels
ACEA A3/B4
API: SL, SN
MB-229.3, 229.1, 226.5

It's very close but not identical. See http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf
Scroll down to bottom half of the document for the Non-ILSAC grades.
Still looks better than any of the other North American valvoline oils

VeeDubb,

It's very close but not identical. See http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf
Scroll down to bottom half of the document for the Non-ILSAC grades.
Still looks better than any of the other North American valvoline oils

I would love if Valvoline use a different naming in Europe so that we will not confuse between oils sold in NA and EU.

The reason I asked if this oil is the same as the one sold in EU is because I am not particularly impressed with the pour point of EU SynPower 0W-40: according to the specs it is -51 C. On the other hand I am using EU SynPower 5W-30 in my Nissan and the pour point is -45 C. As you can see there is little improvement between 5W-30 and 0W-40 so I decided not to use 0W-40.

As you have provided the specs for NA SynPower 0W-40 I can see that the pour point of this oil is exactly like the one of EU SynPower 5W-30 (-45 C)
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nitronoise
5 Gallon Jugs , Im driving to indiana today

lol.gif
My bad. Meant 5 quart.

I checked mine just now, there are 5 quart jugs of Synpower 5w40 and 0w40, along with one quart of 5w40 and a shelf label for 0w40. I am surprised the 0w40 has a lower NOACK than the 5w40. Also, the 0w40 is full SAPS, while the 5w40 is mid-SAPS.

I hope Mobil brings 5 quart jugs of M1 ESP 0w40 to the US.

I checked mine just now, there are 5 quart jugs of Synpower 5w40 and 0w40, along with one quart of 5w40 and a shelf label for 0w40. I am surprised the 0w40 has a lower NOACK than the 5w40. Also, the 0w40 is full SAPS, while the 5w40 is mid-SAPS.

Do you know if the 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP is available in the U.S.? Seems to be a good substitute for the 0w40 ESP

here I thought I had a back up the truck deal even though my stash is at 96 qts , however the wifes , daughters and sons are all due for service , son is home from college so his is today

Do you know if the 5w-30 Mobil 1 ESP is available in the U.S.? Seems to be a good substitute for the 0w40 ESP

Yes, ESP 5w30 has been available in the US for about 10 years. I mail ordered it from Amazon most recently. Before that it was an auto parts store. It's available at some MB or Chrysler dealers too.

Yes, ESP 5w30 has been available in the US for about 10 years. I mail ordered it from Amazon most recently. Before that it was an auto parts store. It's available at some MB or Chrysler dealers too.

Do you have a preference for the 5w-30 ESP vs the 0w-40 ESP? When I compare the numbers I almost prefer the 5w-30 for my VW DI engine. Price seems fairly reasonable too at $9.19 a quart at Napa.

Do you have a preference for the 5w-30 ESP vs the 0w-40 ESP? When I compare the numbers I almost prefer the 5w-30 for my VW DI engine. Price seems fairly reasonable too at $9.19 a quart at Napa.

ESP 0w40 isn't available in the US yet that I have seen. Which DI engine do you have?

ESP 0w40 isn't available in the US yet that I have seen. Which DI engine do you have?

I have the 2.0T FSI (2007 Passat).

I have the 2.0T FSI (2007 Passat).

What does the operator's manual say for permissible oils to use?

Any oil that satisfies the VW502 specs preferably 5w-40. But these engines are known to form deposits like many DI engines. So I'm looking for low NOAK and lower saps oil. Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 looks better than the 0w-40 (full SAPs) in this regard. But the Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 looks even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back