front tires slipping on slow tight turns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been noticing on slow tight turns that occassionaly the front tires will slip and the truck rocks back and forth slightly when turning. Almost like the tires are slipping on bananas peels. I know the last time my truck was in the shop they said one ball joint and one tie rod had some play. I guess a loose tie rod would cause this? It's mainly only on tight left turns which I don't make as often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the play in those joints. Each one of those hops is the ball joint getting yanked apart. Trust me, you don't wanna be driving it when it breaks

Last edited:
Sounds like the bad tie rod and ball joint. Definitely nothing to mess around with, you don't want to lose a ball joint or tie rod on the highway. My brother did in his Jeep. It coasted to the side of the freeway safely and he got sideswiped by someone not paying attention and has a few bulged discs in his back.

I saw a Ram truck this past winter on the ground with a wheel up in the fender with a broken ball joint, maybe there is some sort of problem.
Fix this ASAP and get the front end aligned, don't mess with bad steering or suspension parts it can be disastrous. Check for a TSB.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I saw a Ram truck this past winter on the ground with a wheel up in the fender with a broken ball joint, maybe there is some sort of problem.
Fix this ASAP and get the front end aligned, don't mess with bad steering or suspension parts it can be disastrous. Check for a TSB.

Well dodges are known for ball joints going out. Can I just do the lower ball joints and that one tie rod? Or will the upper ball joints take out the lower ones when they go bad?

Answer the question...... Please
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Well dodges are known for ball joints going out. Can I just do the lower ball joints and that one tie rod? Or will the upper ball joints take out the lower ones when they go bad?

If the joints and boots are good you can leave them, if they are easy to do while its all apart you can save yourself more work and another alignment. Your choice.
Personally if its got 100K or more I usually do a basic front end rehash and put it to bed for another 100K.
Depending on the vehicle you may be better off just putting control arms in, many have the bushings and joint pre-installed so you kill 2 birds with one stone. Its something to look into anyway.

Don't drive on faulty ball joints.

No a loose ball joint won't prematurely wear the other one, but if either one breaks a bunch of stuff will get torn up, possibly including totalling the truck.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Like you said the upper ball joints probably aren't far behind.

If the joints and boots are good you can leave them, if they are easy to do while its all apart you can save yourself more work and another alignment. Your choice.
Personally if its got 100K or more I usually do a basic front end rehash and put it to bed for another 100K.
Depending on the vehicle you may be better off just putting control arms in, many have the bushings and joint pre-installed so you kill 2 birds with one stone. Its something to look into anyway.

I guess I might as well just spend $1000.00 and just be done with it. I'll have to see what they say. I have a good independent shop I go to that's half the cost of the national chains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back