Brake Shoe Min. Spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How thin do y'all let your brake shoes get?

Pulled one of my rear wheels and drums just to check, and the thinnest part of the pad is ~ 3mm. Called Toyota and they said the spec in the service manual is 0-1mm.

Not sure how thick they are, new, but if I knew that, I might could extrapolate how many miles I've got left on them.

180K on truck, and original shoes & drums.

Im on original shoes at 130k miles on car in sig...will be checking mine during tire changeover. Surprised spec goes that low..from what i read its 0.3 to change but i guess Toyota might have their own standards...

2/32 is, I understand, the legal min, same as a tire. If riveted, that's the distance to the rivet head.

In actuality I change them before they're gone because they've glazed over with age or b/c a cylinder puked on 'em.
wink.gif

The min thickness specified in my '94 Toyota Truck manual is 1mm.

Pa state inspection requires a minimum of 2/32" on bonded shoes or 1/32" above the rivet on riveted shoes. 2/32" = 1.6mm

I change mine a bit before they get that low. I don't really measure them I just eyeball it and decide if they need replacing.

Thanks for the input, guys. Guess I need to decide whether to get these drums turned, or buy new ones, and whether to replace the wheel cylinders. Probably a good time to go ahead and do a drain and replacement of all the brake fluid, too, since it's been a few years since I did that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back