Has anyone tried LM's 20w50 classic car formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In search for an oil that had levels of protection (higher ZDDP), i came across this...

LM Classic oil

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this oil or has done any research on it.

The car is a 1988 BMW 535is. I just added MOS2 to the current synthetic oil a little while after i did the service.

Thanks in advance!

"The mildly blended, mineral-based all-season motor oil is specially designed for the requirements of classic cars with an oil filter in terms of its composition.."

Hmmm. When I blend oils, I usually beat the livin' H out of them. Makes them behave later.
grin2.gif

"Specifications and approvals:
API SB - API SC - API - SD - API CC"

Are you kidding me? As pointed out in a recent PQIA test, putting an API rating on anything older than about SG or SF basically means nothing except, "well, its kinda-sorta like oils made 40 years ago, but the API doesn't test to those standards so its never actually been demonstrated to conform to them in any way at all."

Although Liqui-Moly is a reputable company, I still don't think I'd use this in a lawnmower.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Duplicate post....

serious?..sorry i coudnt find it. Maybe i used the wrong search term . Thank you for the follow up information as well.

EDIT;i see what i did wrong in my search Doh!

Last edited:
Agree with other posters regarding this oil and its certification level.

If you are going to use 20W50, my choice would be Valvoline VR1 20W50 (contains higher ZDDP levels). I have used it for years in my '88 325i, and it has provided good results.

Originally Posted By: NycDito
In search for an oil that had levels of protection (higher ZDDP), i came across this...

LM Classic oil

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on this oil or has done any research on it.

The car is a 1988 BMW 535is. I just added MOS2 to the current synthetic oil a little while after i did the service.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Agree with other posters regarding this oil and its certification level.

If you are going to use 20W50, my choice would be Valvoline VR1 20W50 (contains higher ZDDP levels). I have used it for years in my '88 325i, and it has provided good results.

Thanks, im most likely doing VR1 20w50 in my next service. I was also considering Brad Penn oil. Either seems to be a favorite with many.

I would have no need for things like MOS2 or Ceratec if i were to use either oil correct? im still trying to get my head around what each thing does for an engine.

I believe liqui moly knows what they are doing. They are targeting the classic car owners who don't know tons about oils so they are purposely using the older api classification to attract this niche crowd. I am confident that it's a decent oil and this is probably a good example of why all older api specs shouldn't be banned

Nevertheless I would he very interested to see a VOA of this. I am curious as to the additive levels

The real problem I'd have with it is the wording, as above. "Specifications and approvals" is not the way to word this. There are no approvals that old any longer. They may very well meet and exceed those specifications, but they never obtained any approvals.

I received an email back from LM;

"thank you very much for contacting us and your interest in our LIQUI MOLY products.

Because it´s a part of the oil recipe we ask you for understanding that we can not give you the exact amount of ZDDP in our products.
We can tell you that the amount of Zn in our Liqui Moly Classic Motoroil SAE 20W-50 HD is around 800 ppm.

But it´s not only the amount of ZDDP or ZN which is responsible for anti-wear properties, it´s always the combination of different friction modifiers. And Zn is only one part in this combination. "

And thanks to you all who replied as well. Sorry if this was a double post.

I emailed them as well and this was my response

Quote:
thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Liqui Moly products.

Our Liqui Moly Classic Motor Oil SAE 20W-50 HD is specifically developed for classic engines from year 1950 (with oil filter) to 1972 which needs a mildly mineral oil.
This oil has no properties from higher API classifications like API SE, API SF or API SG. If your engine needs an oil with a higher API than SD you should not use this oil.
The reason for this is, that a oil with to many additives can be harmful for a classic engine, therefore we have this oil in our assortment.

Unfortunately, i can't give you informations about the additive value in this or another oil,
because this is a part of the recipe and thus a company secret.
I hope you understand this.

Should you have any further questions, please contact us.

Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I emailed them as well and this was my response

Quote:
thank you for your inquiry and your interest in Liqui Moly products.

Our Liqui Moly Classic Motor Oil SAE 20W-50 HD is specifically developed for classic engines from year 1950 (with oil filter) to 1972 which needs a mildly mineral oil.
This oil has no properties from higher API classifications like API SE, API SF or API SG. If your engine needs an oil with a higher API than SD you should not use this oil.
The reason for this is, that a oil with to many additives can be harmful for a classic engine, therefore we have this oil in our assortment.

Unfortunately, i can't give you informations about the additive value in this or another oil,
because this is a part of the recipe and thus a company secret.
I hope you understand this.

Should you have any further questions, please contact us.

Best regards

i. A. Roman Göser
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Yea, i forgot to mention to THEM that it was a API SF oil i was looking into.

Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
BTW I'm pretty sure the Kendall GT-1 High Performance has more detergent qualities than does Valvoline VR1.

"Pretty Sure"?? Why would that be? Both seem to have a tbn of about 8.

Last edited:
Yes so it's exactly as they state and purposely under treated I imagine if the old api rating means anything. I'm still interested in a VOA

I'm beginning to question my sanity, and that of the oil companies. One of us is nuts, but I'm not sure which, yet. Why does a high mileage type of oil absolutely have to be so out of spec as to be useless (like this stuff, with a terribly dated spec and purposely under treated, and with a virtually useless SAE grade), or be SN/GF-5 like everything else off the shelf, or have to be a boutique synthetic at prices far too high for an older flat tappet engine?

In this case, I'm not exactly sure what an under treated 20w-50 is supposed to accomplish, LM or not. What will this product do that a ND SAE 30 can't do? For that matter, what will this product do that any other 20w-50 on the shelf cannot do?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Yes so it's exactly as they state and purposely under treated I imagine if the old api rating means anything. I'm still interested in a VOA

I'm beginning to question my sanity, and that of the oil companies. One of us is nuts, but I'm not sure which, yet. Why does a high mileage type of oil absolutely have to be so out of spec as to be useless (like this stuff, with a terribly dated spec and purposely under treated, and with a virtually useless SAE grade), or be SN/GF-5 like everything else off the shelf, or have to be a boutique synthetic at prices far too high for an older flat tappet engine?

In this case, I'm not exactly sure what an under treated 20w-50 is supposed to accomplish, LM or not. What will this product do that a ND SAE 30 can't do? For that matter, what will this product do that any other 20w-50 on the shelf cannot do?

...and this is exactly why i came here for help. I was looking into oils for my 88 535i that has the need for ZDDP. All these terms are new to me, forgive me for that..flat tappet..zddp..moly etc etc. But im not new to automobiles at all. i just always used the manufacturers suggestions.

I wrongly used the "wrong" oil in my first oil service upon purchase of my car a few months back. Too light for the temp range of NYC. So i started checking out other oils and came across the whole thing about flat tappet oil's.

I contacted LM because i know their supplier would get me some if i needed it. Then i got their email. And then I saw no problem using M1 15w50, but then read about low Zddp. I thought, hmm..Castrol GTX 20w50, add a little zddp, or Moly (MOS2,STP or ZDDP+). Then i read how GTX was no longer the true GTX of the days of old.

I Finally said Screw it, got a hold of some VR1 20w50 from my old auto parts store at a good price and bought 12 bottles.

Originally Posted By: NycDito
...and this is exactly why i came here for help. I was looking into oils for my 88 535i that has the need for ZDDP. All these terms are new to me, forgive me for that..flat tappet..zddp..moly etc etc. But im not new to automobiles at all. i just always used the manufacturers suggestions.

So your '88 535i wasn't back-specified to LL-01 like most everything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back