2003 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke with 63 hours - what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new to me, very low hour (63 total hours) boat with a 2003 Yamaha 90HP 2 stroke. Can I just use any TCW3 oil, or does it call for something else?

I looked around and Yamaha branded lube seems to be hard to find and/or expensive. Wal-Mart here has two conventional and synthetic blend Evinrude oils. Is that an acceptable oil, or should I really try and find Yamaha lube? Wal-Mart also has Pennzoil syn blend TCW3 oil for a fair price.

Conventional, synthetic blend, synthetic, does it matter?

What other maintenance items should I look at for this low use engine? I've heard the lower unit oil should be changed and perhaps inspect and change the rubber water impeller? Thanks.

That is a great lil' motor congrats, we had one we ran for years on whatever was on sale even Supertech TCW-3. That motor is still running around SE Louisiana. Change the impeller, when they go they go all at once. Replacing it is not all that difficult either, and while you have the lower unit off you can change the oil in it as well, it's piece of cake. There are several youtube vid's on the impeller change. If you can turn a wrench you can probably handle it. We started changing our impellers yearly for piece of mind, being 20 miles offshore or in the middle of Calcasieu and losing a motor to an impeller sucks...been there(no more).

I am a huge fan of the Pennzoil Marine "premium plus" TCW3 semi synthetic. If you look around, it can be found for a reasonable price.

It's probably the most robust TCW-III oil available. It certainly has a great reputation and shows excellent carbon deposit control in various tests. In fact, it's every bit as good as Pennzoil's air cooled oil in every test.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/features/oiltest.htm

http://www.wdarc.org/articles_files/2 stroke Oil Test.pdf

Just in case you did not know, Pennzoil's two stroke oils are unmatched in testing and real world use.

196860.jpg

Thanks for the note about Pennzoil. I knew they made a good product, so I will be sure to check it out more next time I'm at the store and will probably buy some to try out.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I am a huge fan of the Pennzoil Marine "premium plus" TCW3 semi synthetic. If you look around, it can be found for a reasonable price.

It's probably the most robust TCW-III oil available. It certainly has a great reputation and shows excellent carbon deposit control in various tests. In fact, it's every bit as good as Pennzoil's air cooled oil in every test.

How about the 2 cycle Pennzoil XLF synthetic blend? Do you have an opinion of that? Seems to be almost the same as "premium plus"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back