2002 Ford Crown Victoria 175k, 14k on Maxlife 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the oil run from my Crown Vic that I recently cut open a oil filter on and found it and torn pretty severely.

Use is all over the place. When I was working its 4 miles to work and 4 miles home. All 50mph so it would get warmed up fully generally about 1/2 way there. Then a once or twice a month Ill go several hundred miles to Seattle, Leavenworth, Wenatchee, or Spokane. These trips are more common during the summer. Since Ive been laid off work in September I haven't driven it on a regular basis. It might sit for up to a week between uses but the longest run it generally would get is to a friends house 10 miles out of town.

I did take this sample after returning from a trip to Spokane.

Length of time in service was 2 years. At the 1 year mark, with 5.5k on the oil, I changed the Motorcraft FL820S with another one, which is why the bad filter only had 8600 miles on it.
A bottle of Luqimoly Ceratec was added shortly after the change of the filter.

I had two breakdowns/repairs that may affect the UOA.
In September, with about 9k on the oil, I experienced the classic Ford modular plug launch. I was not in my hometown, so I removed the coil and spark plug. Then I unplugged the MAF and the fuel injector for the affected cylinder to prevent fuel wash down, and drove the car 160 miles home with a vacant hole. Im sure this is what the iron and silicon are from, as this cylinder would have been sucking in air from though the spark plug hole.
In December, I took it out one night and discovered a horrible misfire. After returning home and inspecting, I found plug hole #5 full of coolant due to a failed Intake manifold. I scavenged the intake Manifold from my wrecked 2004 Crown Vic (new gaskets were used) in order to repair it. Obviously, some silicon may have made it in during this as well.

Top up oil was 5 quarts. The top up due to the filter change is included in this figure. It burns/leaks a quart about every 2,500/2,750 miles. I noticed when I was changing the intake manifold, several plug holes had about an ounce or so of oil sitting in them, from the valve covers. Eventually I may change the valve cover gaskets, but its a all day job on these cars.

Code:

Iron 84

Chromium 5

Nickel 3

Aluminium 15

Copper 26

Lead 0

Tin 0

Silicon 51

Sodium 415

Potassium 6

Titanium 4

Molybdenum 235

Boron 330

Magnesium 13

Calcium 2207

Phosphorous 640

Zinc 842

Fuel
Soot
Water
Visc 9.2cSt@100C

TBN 2.54

Oxid 28

Nitr 15

Lab is OAI/Polaris

Interesting to see such a long run on about 10 quarts. I don't think your iron would be elevated much from your dead cylinder driving.

Anyone know if these engines have lead bearings?

Originally Posted By: tig1
tri metal aluminum bearings.

I notice alot of informative posts are from you. Thanks tig1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back