2002 yz250 transmission oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what everybody uses, I have used bel Ray gear saver past couple years but it a little pricey, ATF just seems to thin, leaning toward trying rotella 15w40 or the T6 5w40, any experiences?

i raced a 1998 yz250 for several seasons in hare scrambles/enduros/gncc and ran ONLY pennsoil atf type f
inside was spotless on teardown each year.

and i laugh at your thin comment.

atf type f is made for a c4 or c6 tranny that can handle 500 lb/ft torque. your bike isnt close.

Yeah I'm in nc and run alot of hare scrambles to, but how often did you change your atf fluid? And the only thing about it being thin would be does it really protect the gears enough and again how often would I have to change it.

I run Rotella straight-30-grade, preferably, or, if I don't have that around, I run the 15W-40. Easy to get, cheap, and work fine.

Both meet JASO-MA, which means they're certified for wet clutches.

I also know people who run ATF, though I'm not sure what variant.

Incidentally, I run Rotella 15W-40 or 5W-40 in my R1.

Ok sunruh I did a little research and ironically enough found the the 75w gear saver I use has the same viscosity as ATF, so I know that if I do try ATF I will go with the type f, but is penzoil necessarily a better ATF than let's say Super Tech?

Bostic, NC. About 45 min from brown mountain and yes I go there all the time, there marked most difficult trails are alright but the real fun is in the unmarked single track trails lol me and a couple other guys have already set up to go down there April 5th, one of the best and cheapest places to ride

Type F as sunruh stated. If you thought Gear Saver was pricey, I wont suggest Redline Shockproof Light, but it has it's merits in MX transmissions.

How hot does the transmission in my yz250 get? Because I looked up the Super Tech MSDS for their ATF type f and it has a flash point of 201F, which is terribly low

Originally Posted By: Nick1996
How hot does the transmission in my yz250 get? Because I looked up the Super Tech MSDS for their ATF type f and it has a flash point of 201F, which is terribly low

Why not just Go to Walmart and get a QT of 10w40 ATV or Motorcycle oil and run that in the Trans? The only real concern is that the oil is wet clutch safe.

Transmissions in bikes are extremely tough. I've had atv's and bike that were 80's models, and when I drained the trans I got silver mud. they still shifted just fine. It is really hard to hurt a gearbox in a dirtbike. The shaft bearings are the real concern. any light oil is enough for those.

you can run a light atf or a motorcycle oil or a motorcycle gear oil. It really doesn't matter much. Remember the bike only weighs a couple hundred pounds. add in a rider and the trans is only pulling 400 pounds or so.

A truck uses light ATF and pulls 5000-7000 pounds daily and can tow another 10k pounds behind it. Don't stress about your trans. ride the dirt bike and enjoy it. You will need a dozen top end jobs before you will ever have to crack open a trans of a dirtbike. Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1996

I think that is probably 201C, not F. Flash of ATF is well over 400, IIRC. You'll have no problem running Type F, lots of history proves it. Although, back in the day, it would have been really cool to see Jeremy McGrath do a Nac-Nac on a flaming YZ during the last lap...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back