Liqui-Moly Leichlauf HT 5W-40 (BMW LL-01 approved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

Just because of all the recent discussion about the new Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 not meeting BMW LL-01 specs, I am reposting a Liqui-Moly Leichlauf HT 5W-40 VOA that I had done earlier. (FWIW, I deleted the image in my original post because another BITOG member was reposting some of my VOAs as his own).

So, for the good of the BITOG community, here is a VOA of a BMW LL-01 approved oil that may be a consideration for those who are not willing to run the new Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 because of the lack of BMW LL-01 approval.

As you can see in my signature, I am using this oil in both our BMWs. Originally I was a long time user of Castrol 0W-30 (virtually all German, then a bit of Belgium). No reason for the switch to LM other than I wanted to try something different. Also, our BMWs are summer cars (yes, there are summer cars in Cali - light rain and damp roads, you know). The summertime highs where we live can exceed 90 degrees on a regular basis, which was a small consideration in my switch from 0W-30 to 5W-40. I don't think I notice any difference though I sometimes think both the BMW motors run a bit smoother and quieter. That said, I believe it's probably my imagination.

Cheers,

Scott

The loss of certification has led me to switch the fleet over to Castrol's German-made 0w-40.

No one carries LM local to me any more; my NAPA stores have dropped it.

Last edited:
SLO_Town,

Thanks for the VOA. It is interesting that the level of Ph and Zn are not so high in this oil compared to GC.

roofless, I would not hesitate to run Castrol 0W-40. I believe that is a very good product. I'd run that Castrol product without hesitation if I changed from LM.

Pete, 5 liter jugs = Pelican Parts $44.00 (free shipping usually), RM European $38.02 (unsure of shipping). It's more expensive than Castrol for sure. The added value LM provides is doubtful just because both oils meet all the same specs.

volodymyr, yes, I agree. The Zn and Ph levels do indeed seem low for this class of oil. That said, that was one reason I decided to run it - if a lessor amount still meets the spec, what not? I know, maybe that's crazy thinking. Perhaps less Zn and Ph levels are compensated by LM's higher cSt viscosity of 13.68.

To All, this LM appears to be a Grp III-based product. In fact, this LM product is listed in their "Synthetic Technology" section.

Once again, I used this LM product just to try something different. Whether or not I use it as long as I did German/Belgium Castrol is unknown at this time. Both our BMWs "grew up" on Castrol. If I switch from LM to something different it would be Castrol 0W-40. That said, the lack of BMW LL-01 certification for the new Mobil FS 0W-40 is a non-issue for me; to me the MB 229.5 cert is the gold standard. I just want to run something a bit out of the ordinary.

Anyway, I hope all this helps.

Scott

If you look at the new M1 0w-40 bottle, it no longer carries 229.5, just 229.3. I was also under the impression that it was the more stringent specification. In any case, I put it back down and picked up Castrol; something I haven't done in years.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
If you look at the new M1 0w-40 bottle, it no longer carries 229.5, just 229.3.

New m1 does carry mb 229.5 spec. It just does not carry the bmw spec.

IMG_20160124_151141.jpg

I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was missing from the back when I picked it up!

Does anyone know another oil that carries the GTR approval? No to derail the thread too far.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was missing from the back when I picked it up!

Does anyone know another oil that carries the GTR approval? No to derail the thread too far.

What is GT-R approval? Does that specification exists or it is marketing trick?
I have never heard of any specifications required by GT-R.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
What is GT-R approval? Does that specification exists or it is marketing trick?

I'd agree. It's not like there are a lot of GT-Rs around here, but all the Infiniti/Nissan dealerships here use Mobil as service fills. I have a feeling they'd be using M1 0w-40 as they always did. Then again, we'll have the old stock up here for forever and a day.
wink.gif

The wholesale house we buy from no longer carries the Leichtlauf HT, only the Synthoil Premium. According to the label, LM rates the LHT higher in several areas including fuel economy and friction and wear reduction. I decided to stick with the LHT and got a 5l jug on Amazon for $38.90 delivered. It is going in my 2005 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T, sitting at about 35,300 miles. I bought the car with 23k miles, and immediately drained the unknown oil from the overfilled crankcase and used LM LHT and a Mann Filter. Changed the oil twice at about 3.5k intervals, and just changed it again today after about 4k adding Ceratec in the prescribed ratio. I am sending a sample of drained oil for analysis, and will send off a sample mit Ceratec at the next service. I will post results when I get them in for untreated sample and the sample with Ceratec. I will also see how it looks as far as extending intervals goes. I can't get out of the 3 to 5k mode especially since I get wholesale parts and have a lift.

Originally Posted By: t44e6
The wholesale house we buy from no longer carries the Leichtlauf HT, only the Synthoil Premium. According to the label, LM rates the LHT higher in several areas including fuel economy and friction and wear reduction. I decided to stick with the LHT and got a 5l jug on Amazon for $38.90 delivered. It is going in my 2005 VW Jetta GLS 1.8T, sitting at about 35,300 miles. I bought the car with 23k miles, and immediately drained the unknown oil from the overfilled crankcase and used LM LHT and a Mann Filter. Changed the oil twice at about 3.5k intervals, and just changed it again today after about 4k adding Ceratec in the prescribed ratio. I am sending a sample of drained oil for analysis, and will send off a sample mit Ceratec at the next service. I will post results when I get them in for untreated sample and the sample with Ceratec. I will also see how it looks as far as extending intervals goes. I can't get out of the 3 to 5k mode especially since I get wholesale parts and have a lift.

The Leichlauf HT 5W-40 is BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 approved. The Synthoil Energy 0W-40 is "only" BMW LL-98 and MB 229.3 approved. This is why I chose the LHT.

t44e6, thanks for the Amazon price. Least expensive yet.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: t44e6

The Leichlauf HT 5W-40 is BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5 approved. The Synthoil Energy 0W-40 is "only" BMW LL-98 and MB 229.3 approved. This is why I chose the LHT.

t44e6, thanks for the Amazon price. Least expensive yet.

Scott

I am addicted to Amazon Prime. Huge selection, great prices, great customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back