Sad end of an era - Ford Falcon Sprint final edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jacob.

Quick question. See you put in some tcw3 in your fuel. How much do you use, how long you been doing that, and have you noticed any posiive or negative results?

Thanks.

Would have happily bought at least one, if Ford had bothered to import them here.

And yes, it would be the straight six.

It's just incomprehensible to me that, excepting only Cadillac, the best cars of Ford and GM for the last two decades have been Australian designed and built.

And when they were brought here, at screaming deal pricing, people completely ignored them.

Originally Posted By: Win

It's just incomprehensible to me that, excepting only Cadillac, the best cars of Ford and GM for the last two decades have been Australian designed and built.

And when they were brought here, at screaming deal pricing, people completely ignored them.

Amen to that.

I need to learn more about the last Australian Fords technical side. They look like your basic Taurus body, but are they rear drive? Or the FWD with "as needed" rear power (and a sadly under designed power-transfer unit, apparently) that we get here? I really like what Ford has done in recent years in some ways, but eliminating all rear-drive and RWD-based AWD rather ruins it for me.

I wish inline 6s were available over here. Turboed 5ish liter inline 6 would be an awesome truck engine.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I wish inline 6s were available over here. Turboed 5ish liter inline 6 would be an awesome truck engine.

Given the current trend of engine downsizing, a 3.0L turbo six with ~360HP may be the bread and butter light truck engine 10 years from now. The Ford 2.7L Ecoboost really seems to point the way.

frown.gif
Unfortunate, Ford really screwed the pooch by never offering the newer Falcon in the US. There were enough revisions to the platform that they could have made it symmetrical to offer a LHD option.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Win

Amen to that.

I need to learn more about the last Australian Fords technical side. They look like your basic Taurus body, but are they rear drive? Or the FWD with "as needed" rear power (and a sadly under designed power-transfer unit, apparently) that we get here? I really like what Ford has done in recent years in some ways, but eliminating all rear-drive and RWD-based AWD rather ruins it for me.

Nothing at all like a Taurus. The current FGX body is a development of the EA Falcon, launched in 1988. They have slowly evolved to where they are today - a world class car. Yes, rear wheel drive only, available as Ecoboost 2.0, naturally aspirated 4.0 litre 6 cyl, or the V8.

Originally Posted By: andyd
They tend to be thirsty, 4 liter sixes.

You'd be surprised, my 2000 model even with the old SOHC version gets up to 35mpg hwy. I have got 1000km (600+ miles) from a tank many times

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Hi Jacob.

Quick question. See you put in some tcw3 in your fuel. How much do you use, how long you been doing that, and have you noticed any posiive or negative results?

Thanks.

Funny you should point that out, I started using it again just yesterday!
I started using it nearly 3 years ago and stopped about a year ago. I stopped because I ran out and I didn't feel a difference, which I now know is because the effects slowly go away after you stop, not instantly so you don't notice.
Anyway adding some yesterday at slightly more than the 1oz:5gal ratio I almost instantly felt the difference.
Acceleration is smoother and slightly quieter, idle is much smoother, and so far it's too early to tell whether I'll have a gain in fuel economy.
I spent a lot of time reading results on here and it seems there are zero ill effects and a multitude of benefits. Even more so if you live in a cold winter area

You're talking about decades old designs. The only somewhat modern gas inline 6 I know of in the US is the GM Atlas 4200. And it's 15 years old. Looking at the Aus brochure the 4.0 seems to do pretty well in the fuel econ compared to 5.0 V8.

Last edited:
You're talking about decades old designs. The only somewhat modern gas inline 6 I know of in the US is the GM Atlas 4200. And it's 15 years old. Looking at the Aus brochure the 4.0 seems to do pretty well in the fuel econ compared to 5.0 V8.

It's certainly not the old 250 with the integral cast log inlet manifold.

Various incarnations had variable length inlet runners, variable cam timing, turbos, you name it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It's certainly not the old 250 with the integral cast log inlet manifold.

Various incarnations had variable length inlet runners, variable cam timing, turbos, you name it.
LOL. I have that engine sitting in my old Chevy K10 in the shed. If I ever get around to restoring it I'm going to keep the 250 but ditch the integral head. I have a soft spot for inline sixes.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
frown.gif
Unfortunate, Ford really screwed the pooch by never offering the newer Falcon in the US. There were enough revisions to the platform that they could have made it symmetrical to offer a LHD option.

EXACTLY!!

Just like I WISH someone could give me a valid/REAL reason WHY the Euros can buy a 3 door Fiesta ST, but we must take a 5 door version ONLY.
mad.gif

At least they are doing the Focus RS here, albeit how many years until it is not gouged by the dealers with their 'market adjustments'??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back