Added Xenon lights to my Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
ksA4cSB.jpg

They were just warming up but they are 6K

I also made a tutorial
laugh.gif

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-...ll-hid-kit.html

Some halogen projectors could not accommodate HID bulb, doesn't matter how it aim it would product too much glare for oncoming traffic. I hope that your Mazda 3 isn't one of them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Are they DOT legal for street use?

Without auto-leveling , washers and specific headlights? Sure. In China they are.
Only OEM ore OEM retrofitted are legal. Maybe there are some aftermarket units that offer same system as OEM , but I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Are they DOT legal for street use?

Just a note to be cautious with DOT markings. DOT markings are a lot like ACEA specifications. They're all self-policed. DOT can be stamped all over an assembly, but one can still be issued a ticket for it.

I've seen lights and assemblies with the DOT markings, and also with warnings on the box that they're not for street use. I guess they really cover their bases that way.

Not all xenon are hid, but still check & correct the aim and pattern out of courtesy to other road users. How are they for visibility btw?

Originally Posted By: Olas
Not all xenon are hid, but still check & correct the aim and pattern out of courtesy to other road users. How are they for visibility btw?

I checked by aiming at a few cars on a level surface and they both point below the window.

They are 5 times brighter than halogen.

They look 5 times brighter, but they're probably just a little brighter. What they are is a lot more blue, which doesn't help you see at night. I'm also interested to see your beam cutoff.

The link 901Memphis posted is spot on. I know you won't read it, so here's an excerpt:

"The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe."

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
They look 5 times brighter, but they're probably just a little brighter. What they are is a lot more blue, which doesn't help you see at night. I'm also interested to see your beam cutoff.

The link 901Memphis posted is spot on. I know you won't read it, so here's an excerpt:

"The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe."

I wish BITOG had a "Like" function. Retro-fitted HIDs are a scourge of modern motoring.

You should have searched here before posting your abomination of an install, because we have no patience for half-assed setups that are deleterious to others' driving safety. Seriously, this isn't a retro; you simply popped HID bulbs into a non-HID projector housing. On behalf of everyone driving IVO you, thanks...

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

So much hate.

They are white, they were warming up when I took the picture.

Look up 6000K lights.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
I have never seen people complaining about all German cars having HID lights.

You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're just trying to save face with that argument.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
They are HID, not Xenon.

same difference. in the context of Automotive HID, they are Xenon gas based.

what do you think they are? Metal halide used in street lamps?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie
I have never seen people complaining about all German cars having HID lights.

You seem to be missing the massive difference between factory HID and somebody plopping HID bulbs into a halogen housing.

one of the big issues of sticking an HID bulb into a Japanese H11 projector is the squirrel finder. The squirrel finder brightness will be amplified, which can be annoying to oncoming drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back