VW Explains Why No F1 Entry

Status
Not open for further replies.
They "explain" it here. Now, I usually give VW a lot of latitude, for whatever reason, and have not hammered them on the emissions business.

However, this has to be some of the most self-serving, obtuse, disingenuous gibberish I've ever had the misfortune to read. They want to see five years stability before they enter? How many years stability do they want after a potential entry? Are they nuts? Five years of complete rules stability in F1 is never going to happen. Perhaps they should look at NASCAR instead.

Then, their nonsense about costs is out to lunch. No, WEC isn't more expensive, unless, perhaps, they're tallying up all the works teams under their umbrella and comparing that to a shoestring budget F1 team like Manor. But, they were talking about Red Bull, and that's clearly another ballpark. Oy vey.

Of course, complaining about ownership and rights management is par for the course. Groaning about Bernie and ownership and regulations is a lot easier to do than it is to actually do something. It's a great PR stunt - no more, no less.

Although the reasoning for not being in F1 is silly, they have participated in high end motor sports for years, probably more so than any other German company. Le Mans series, WRC, GTCC.
wink.gif

Well, I'm not wishing they were in there, or caring so much, but their complaints are a little odd, to say the least. Wemay, you're quite right, they are in a lot of other stuff. I suppose they got their hands more full with other problems above and beyond motorsport, after all. I was just scratching my head at some of the stuff they stated. Maybe they could start an F1 team and dump the cheaters there. There's always room for that kind of creativity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, I'm not wishing they were in there, or caring so much, but their complaints are a little odd, to say the least. Wemay, you're quite right, they are in a lot of other stuff. I suppose they got their hands more full with other problems above and beyond motorsport, after all. I was just scratching my head at some of the stuff they stated. Maybe they could start an F1 team and dump the cheaters there. There's always room for that kind of creativity.
wink.gif

Hahaha...Yes! Back to the article- it does come across rather pompous.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Although the reasoning for not being in F1 is silly, they have participated in high end motor sports for years, probably more so than any other German company. Le Mans series, WRC, GTCC.
wink.gif

Yes, if you include the whole VW/Audi group, and not just the VW nameplate.
(Save for WRC, where they dominate, and probably pump 20-30 times as much coin into their team efforts and drivers' salaries as any other team).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back