Safe loading ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
For use in a pickup, loading a motorcycle: What are you using?

I have a friend who built straps/anchors to attach to the truck in order to prevent the ramps from failing or sliding when the stakes are high.

I have used the bifold in the past and liked it. It is wide enough to walk your scooter up and down while holding the brake......but this was small bikes.

What do you do for heavy bikes? Do you just ride it up and walk it down?

I have a long bed if that would help lessen the incline/decline (grade) ....also, I would of course need them to ride calmly beside the bike while in tow and not damage the moto or the truck.

For storage, I have a leaky porch that provides decent escape from the elements, but some rain and dust makes it thru, but not much sun.....so, aluminum construction?

Dunno what's readily available in the US, but here there are galvanised perforated steel plate scaffolding boards, with hooks on the end to locate on crosspieces. (That's for when they aren't using bamboo)

Dunno where you'd buy them but they are fairly easy to..er..acquire.

Unless you have an unstated requirement for air-portability, aluminium adds significant cost and fab difficulty which the extra corrosion resistance doesn't justify.

There is also a lot of concrete shuttering lying around here. (Taiwanese LOVE concrete).

Typically an exterior ply board with a bit of 4X4 (?) down each edge. That'd be adequate for most bikes here but you might need to beef it up a bit, maybe with angle iron, for something like a Harley.

If you think the incline is to much you can put the rear wheels(of the truck) in a ditch or gutter. I've had to pick my G/W up twice because of a electrical problem(something called a wet solder joint).

All I did was put the rear wheels of the truck in the gutter and with the help of one other guy we put my 1000 lbs+ G/W in the back of the truck, went in very easy.
No need to buy a trailer that you might or might not use more than once or twice. I can say I use my ramps over four times a month, I ride my lawmower into the bed of the truck so I can go mow my mother in laws jard. How fun.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back