'05 Volvo S40 2.4i - 188K Miles - First Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for some feedback from this community for my first sample at a high mileage! Thanks! I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30 but have recently switched to Mobil 1 0W-40.

https://flic.kr/p/Eo3fTF

Last edited:
Generally looks fine for 6K OCI at 187K miles. The only comment I'd make is that the 30 grade sheared down to about a 20 grade (11.0 to 9.0). So going to the 0w-40 will give you some added cushion (12.9) that will likely end up around 10.5-11.5 when done.

Excellent UOA. Extend OCI only if you feel like changing the oil separator sooner. Posts on Swedspeed indicate that engines with 5-6,000 mile OCIs need a new oil separator around 120,000 miles. 7,500 mile OCIs drop it to 80,000-90,000 miles.

The shearing was the result of the fuel dilution, but the wear metals still very low.

Mobil 1 0W40 is probably good for this car, or go with Maxlife xW30 with higher HTHS than standard xW30.

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I do think that is why the oil sheared so far. I'm hoping 0W-40 will give it a boost back up for protection.

Viscosity decreasing due to fuel dilution isn't shearing, you've added a lower viscosity fluid to the oil which has decreased its measured viscosity.

But it is still well within grade, right? I don't understand why it needs a "boost back up for protection".

Yes. Sorry. I'm not sure why I wrote shearing. The fuel would mix with the oil and lower the viscosity. Not shear it.

When I said "a boost back up" I was referring to starting at a higher viscosity with 0W-40 vs 0W-30. It is my understanding that my Volvo block likes a heavy 30WT oil per their lubrication spec sheet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back