10 Reasons Why Volkswagen Can't Succeed In America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
There are rumors that Volkswagen is considering abandoning the U.S. market over its diesel scandal. This is not the first time the German automaker has considered exiting America, the last time being the early 1990s when the quality of vehicles made by its Mexican plant was so bad that U.S. managers stopped importing them.

But the notion of leaving is now, as it was then, a foolhardy thought only imaginable by arrogant and obtuse executives who can’t bring themselves to simply do the right thing. Do what needs to be done to satisfy regulators you previously tried to flim-flam with bogus emissions tests, and decide that putting the company on sounder footing is more important than egos. Or leave, and let some new people take over.

Quote:
The Passat sedan VW designed for sale to be built at the Tennessee plant is practically invisible. I should know. I own one. In gray, the car is harder to find in a mall parking lot than a golfball on a glacier. It is the epitome of boring transportation. I leased it based on price alone.

Diess’s comments on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show reflect the exasperation of German executives with a market, the U.S., that won’t behave as they will it. They were indignant over the advent of cup-holders, and they were disrespectful of the clean air rules California imposed. This has been the case at VW for roughly 40 years.

Quote:
When Volkswagen remade the Jetta sedan to be cheaper, it also made it less desirable on multiple levels–from the chintzy materials inside the cabin to the tinny door closures. When you take the jelly out of the jelly donut, don’t be surprised when they are harder to sell.

The Touareg SUV is six years old and transacts close to $50,000 for the V6, though if you check enough boxes, you can get it up over $60K. It’s never been taken seriously as a luxury SUV, and it’s too expensive to be mass-market.

Quote:
The fact that Volkswagen of America cannot keep a CEO for longer than it takes to cook a proper cassoulet is a problem. Good people do not wish to work for foreign management that does not accept the realities of a market, nor one that uses threats in place of morale or empowerment.

Herbert Diess says that Volkswagen may opt to pursue a boutique strategy in the U.S.? Herr Diess: when, since 1980, has Volkswagen not been a boutique brand in the U.S.?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidkiley5/...a/#239c50841d50

VW lost me when they stopped making the air cooled bus at the end of 79. The replacement water cooled bus was nothing but a pile of junk.

My 79 Scirocco was an excellent car. Purchased it new and never had a problem. It was fun to drive as well, not powerful but fun all the same. It had an excellent 5-speed and a very good fuel injection setup. This car was very easy to maintain. There were no difficult tasks. This is one of several cars I would like to have back, someday.

VW was like a different company from 1980 on, some good cars but a lot of junk. Dealer service went down the drain, too.

We could, throw a going away party for VW, the day after they leave.

I remember it was a cool car for college girls to get a cabriolet or Jetta with sunroof. Does anyone care about the offerings now? I only like the golf sportwagen but very few Americans like station wagons that aren't jacked up.

They miss the entire us market....

I like the base Golf TSI. But I don't like it enough to buy one over the other brands with either a better warranty or easier to maintain cars.

The parent company has not said they would leave the US market, only that they are going to change their business plans..
It never fails that the media takes a story about VW and twists it
180 degrees....

It really appears that the mass media loves to hate VW...when plenty of other companies have done very similar things in the recent past. GM, Honda, Ford, Toyota, and the most important part is that unlike those makers at least VW's issue hasn't actually resulted in a SINGLE injury or death.

Last edited:
I have to agree. VW makes no cars right now that excite me, except possibly the CC and it needs to be about $10k cheaper for me to consider buying one. At $30k, why not just get an Audi?

I think VW made its best cars between 2002 and about 2009. I still have my 2007 Passat 2.0T and it still runs circles around 90% of the mid-size sedans out there today. I recently had a new Passat as a rental and couldn't believe how boring it was. In terms of driving dynamics, they've taken a huge step backwards. The thing is an appliance and lacks the soul of the early VWs. I would not trade my 2007 for a new one straight-up.

Right now, I would buy a Mazda 6, Accord, or new Malibu (with the turbo) before a Passat.

VW/Audi only needs the Audi brand right now in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The parent company has not said they would leave the US market, only that they are going to change their business plans..
It never fails that the media takes a story about VW and twists it
180 degrees....

It really appears that the mass media loves to hate VW...when plenty of other companies have done very similar things in the recent past. GM, Honda, Ford, Toyota, and the most important part is that unlike those makers at least VW's issue hasn't actually resulted in a SINGLE injury or death.

These are good points. Lots of VW issues are little things that aren't huge deals. And back when the cars had soul, those little idiosyncracies actually gave the car character. But now that the cars are boring, they are just irritating.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Quote:
There are rumors that Volkswagen is considering abandoning the U.S. market over its diesel scandal.

That's idiotic.

US is one of VAG's largest markets.

Besides, abandoning the US market does not somehow magically lets them get away with their diesel infractions. They will be held liable and have to make it right regardless if they leave or stay.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

These are good points. Lots of VW issues are little things that aren't huge deals. And back when the cars had soul, those little idiosyncracies actually gave the car character. But now that the cars are boring, they are just irritating.

The problem was that VW started to actually listen to the "pundits" and implement US style business practices even in Germany, where short term profits come at the expense of long term health, and viability, not to mention that because of that the company gave up a lot of their distinctive cultural characteristics that made the brand successful in the first place.

The current CEO of Mazda has it right, he specifically stated that Mazda would NEVER Americanize their products to increase their market share, at the expense of the heritage, quality, and performance of the product. VW needs to follow that path...they are a European product, that appeals to a specific customer, and it should stay that way. VW should NOT be chasing the Toyota Camry owner.

Last edited:
I agree with Jack on this one, best VW I owned a 1979 Rabbit 145K.Next VW a Golf Not a bad car but the head warped at 85k and seized the engine 155K. The last VW a 2000 GLX literally fell apart after 50K, dealer balked at warranty work from the getgo. Cam seals, Control Arms, Rear Pads at 30k Heated seats, Trunk lock, Door Lock Power seat that went into full recline while my wife was driving. Every VW that I owned CV boots needed to be replaced around 80K. VW Sux I would never buy another one Audi either

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

The problem was that VW started to actually listen to the "pundits" and implement US style business practices even in Germany, where short term profits come at the expense of long term health, and viability, not to mention that because of that the company gave up a lot of their distinctive cultural characteristics that made the brand successful in the first place.

The current CEO of Mazda has it right, he specifically stated that Mazda would NEVER Americanize their products to increase their market share, at the expense of the heritage, quality, and performance of the product. VW needs to follow that path...they are a European product, that appeals to a specific customer, and it should stay that way. VW should NOT be chasing the Toyota Camry owner.

I couldn't have said it better.

To me one of the biggest image problems is quality. Rightly or wrongly the perception is they have poor quality and I don't think they can succeed with that image.

How do you reason that VW has received worse treatment from the media than other car companies?

The only reason the news media gave Takata a break is because of the VW fiasco. And the only reason they backed off of the GM ignition switch issue was because of Takata. Considering that so much of it was later related to driver error and other issues, do you really believe that Toyota deserved all the negative publicity they received over the fly by wire acceleration?issue?

Ford is the only car company that seems to get a pass from the news media when they screw up. (Cruise control modules that overheated and caught cars on fire, often burning down homes when the truck was parked in a garage. People died. But I bet few of you remember it.)

VW has always taken a very arrogant attitude towards the U.S. market, considering themselves superior and above the need to comply with our regulations. The recent emissions control fiasco is only the most recent. There are others too. Most likely being older than most here on BITOG, one that still bothers me was the VW 181, AKA the Thing. It was only imported to the U.S. for two years, because VW had chosen to totally ignore U.S. crash worthiness requirements. VW totally ignored. When they were caught, VW tried to embarrass the U.S. safety regulators, trying to convince the public that the regulators were being sticks in the mud.

Sorry, but I don't think VW has earned the respect of the American consumer. And for good reason. Sure, some people really like them, and find the German engineering exciting. I for one expect reliability too. And I expect the car company to respect the consumer. I won't be buying a VW any time soon for the same reason I won't be buying a GM. Both think the consumer is beneath them.

I have owned 2 Volkswagen's and they were junk.Never again.
The currant styling is way too boring.There are much better looking cars out there.
I also had a few Chrysler products. Never again will I own one of those turds.
I now have a Nissan and a Hyundai and they just keep running with no issues.

Why did Mazda cooperate with Ford some years ago ? They would went bankrupt without Ford help.

Mazda knew then that they cold not compete with Toyota, Honda in term volume in USA so they try different approach.

Every automaker love to sell more vehicles every month/quarter/year, and if they can be the best selling company they would try to achieve it. Only when they know they can't be then they would select the other way to stay in business.

Did you ever hear a CEO of a company said anything like "we want to be a niche player" we don't want to be a big player ?

Remember that developing a new car costs more than a billion US dollar. If that car is sold at 1 million the cost per car is $1,000. If a car is sold at 200,000 then cost per car is $5,000.

I guess VW lost you when you failed to notice the air cooled 2 liter Type IV used in the Vanagon until 1983.
We spent many happy miles in an '81 Vanagon, a vehicle that was in every way better than the Series II transporter it replaced. It was as durable and as reliable as a hammer.
This was our lone VW and I still have fond memories of it.
The later Wasserboxer had some problems, but once VW refined them out, this engine was better in every way than the Type IV.
More power, better fuel economy, longer life and a real heater, which may not matter in CA but does in OH.

As a owner of a 2004 Passat, that car has been very reliable, hyper maintained, but has never let us down.

I can't accept the styling of the new Passat, too big, too vague. However I do expect that I will return to VW when they have a nicer line of product that is closer to their European offerings.

The build quality of my 2004 is so much better than my 2013 Maxima, there is no comparison.

VW will get their toolbox in order, might take them a few years, but they will be a better company for the change in culture that is happening in Wolfsburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back