883 Sportster Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run less than 3K miles a year on her, currently using VR 1 20w50 coventional. I see mentioned here NAPA 15w50 and Kendall GT1 as well. Im wondering if its even worth my $$ to use full synthetic with so little use, and what other options are good. BTW thats for engine, Im using M1 20W50 in trans.

I can't speak specifically to your Sportster, but I have been running Rotella 5W-40 synthetic in my Kawasaki 500 since 2006 and it has been great. For the difference in cost for such a small amount of oil I would spring for the synthetic for extra high temperature performance.

FWIW, I have been running the VR1 20w50 conventional in my old Harley evo. It gets great reviews on BITOG in the motorcycle UOA section. I think Valvoline makes the NAPA 15w50 synthetic. A friend has over 100,000 miles on his 2002 Harley EG and has used the Mobil1 15w50 in it since new.

I think you're good w/conventional oil also. I change mine (I use Castrol 20W-50 V-Twin because that's what the parts store had) and change the filter (H-D brand) once a year. Anymore I don't put that many miles on my bike either. All my friends work too much LOL.

The Shell Rotella T6 5w40 is only about $20/gallon and can be found anywhere. I would go with that, it did great in my air cooled big twin (Yamaha Roadliner) and I'll probably be using it in my new 2014 Honda CB1100.

My 883 is an older one , it was noisy on T6 when hot.

Right now it has M1 V-Twin in the motor and 4T in the trans, though I doubt I will bother with the 4T next time and just put V-Twin in both holes.

If you want to try commonly available car oil, you might try M1 15/50 if your WM carries it, it is a popular choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back